Streetwork Project is an innovative outreach-counseling program for homeless youth in New York City, which utilizes a harm reduction approach. Services include counseling, HIV prevention case management, peer education and outreach, drop-in center, support groups, needle exchange, acupuncture, mental health services, legal and medical care. The HIV Prevention Specialist will enhance Streetwork’s sexual health services component that includes our Outreach & Education for combination HIV prevention services.
Essential Job Functions:
· Recruit and intake participants for HIV prevention services;
· Organize & coordinate sexual health fairs on HIV testing and PrEP/PEP information
· Facilitate HIV & STI prevention and sexual health groups;
· Provide linkage and benefits navigation services;
· Provide HIV Rapid Testing on-site;
· Coordinate HIV testing with all Streetwork sites and other Safe Horizon Programs
· Provide combination HIV prevention services, counseling and health education;
· Develop and update HIV & STI prevention and health education messages, posters, materials, and curricula for the program;
· Provide training to staff on HIV testing, treatment, care and available resources
· Manage new social media campaign for HIV prevention;
· Conduct Community Outreach and Networking with other RHY providers;
· Collaborate with the sexual health team on all HIV prevention program needs and services;
· Perform data entry of one-on-one and group stats;
· Assist in the preparation of stats and reports;
· Maintain intervention participant’s charts, including all necessary documentation;
· Attend staff meetings, supervisions, trainings, and conferences;
· Perform other related tasks.
Secondary Job Functions:
· Participate at staff trainings, staff meetings, and staff group process workshops;
· Participate in weekly supervision;
· Knowledge of HIV prevention, harm reduction, HIV/AIDS and STI, and PrEP/PEP;
· HIV Rapid Testing experience with at risk youth;
· Experience with LGBTQ, homeless and street-involved youth populations required;
· Group work experience required;
· Compassionate approach to others and openness to new ideas;
· Dynamic energy, able to multi-task and negotiate multiple demands on attention;
· Non-judgmental approach and ability to empathize with others;
· Clear and concise verbal and written communication skill, excellent interpersonal and organization skills;
· Genuine interest in working with disenfranchised youth and young adults;
· Understanding of and ability to work from harm reduction perspective;
· Demonstrated high levels of initiative and ability to work independently;
· Excellent organizational, interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
· Bachelor’s Degree in a social services-related field, creative arts, liberal studies or any field related to work with youth, or equivalent experience.
· (3-5 years) relevant work experience required or 3 years high-quality work demonstrated at Streetwork Project.
· Spanish-speaking skills are preferred.
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Please follow this link to view complete EEO Law and complaint filing information:
Streetwork Project is an innovative outreach-counseling program for homeless youth in New York City, which utilizes a harm reduction approach. Services include counseling, HIV prevention case management, peer education and outreach…