Position Summary: The Director of Development is responsible for building and overseeing a comprehensive and diverse fundraising and development program including coordinating grant applications and reporting, cultivating major donors, developing fundraising appeals, maintaining individual and corporate donor relations, and developing and implementing planned giving and individual donors programs. The Director will also prepare all grant proposals and progress reports, conduct grant research and maintain and track grant deadlines. This individual will work closely with Senior Management in the development of the agency’s strategic goals to ensure sustainability of the agency (both short and long term) as well as lead the administration and delivery of development programs, communications and special projects.
- Identifies, cultivates and solicits philanthropic support by researching, developing and maintaining relationships with corporations, foundations and individuals.
- Oversees and assists with writing/editing grant proposals to corporate, foundation and local government funders including need assessments, focus alignment and budget development. Secure funding in excess of $2.0 million annually.
- Develops expert familiarity with Clarifi’s programmatic offerings; maintains current knowledge of key developments in Clarifi programming as they occur; maintains working knowledge of programmatic priorities and funding opportunities for donors.
- Collaborates and builds strong relationships and networks with operations, technology and program staff as needed, to ensure grant application standards and reporting compliance timelines are met.
- Creates strategies for and implements annual fundraising plan and activities in collaboration with program managers and the Senior Management Team to financially support programmatic and organizational goals.
- Identifies new prospects among existing donors; solicits annual and incremental gifts from current donors and prospects.
- Monitors trends in the community and region and adapts fundraising strategies in response thereto; conducts research for new funding prospects, maintains grant database and keeps track of sponsors in the media working with marketing team to create institutional donor acknowledgment strategy.
- Maintains accurate reporting to and communication with funders including donor acknowledgements and tax reporting (for both cash and in-kind donations)
- Works collaboratively with leadership team members to identify avenues of economic support for programs and projects, and to help reduce bottom-line spending.
- Offers analysis of giving trends of Clarifi donors and provides regular projections and updates to Senior Management Team
Board Relations, Event-planning and Donor Relations:
· Serve as staff liaison to the Board Development Committee and assist Committee Chair to keep committee on track and meeting deliverables.
· With input of Senior Management, work with Committee Chair to develop and implement annual solicitation plan.
· Participate in board orientations and educate board members about the development/ fundraising process and their respective roles in the process.
· Trains and leads appropriate staff and Board Members to support fundraising efforts.
Actively participates and provides strategic direction at team and all employee staff meetings and, as needed, actively engages Board Members when presenting at Board meetings.
· Coordinates all activities related to Clarifi’s major fundraising events including annual Spring luncheon and funder recognition events including recruiting event committee members, soliciting sponsors, coordinating logistics, and managing design and promotion of the event.
· Creates and conducts presentations as needed to potential donors and partners and represents organization at industry and corporate philanthropic affairs.
· Set strategy and policy for Young Professionals Board including recruiting membership and working with Chair to determine annual agenda and fundraising goals.
· Submits financial accounting for special event activities.
· Prepares and submits budgets to Controller and makes projections regarding funding opportunities; works with Controller to provide quarterly grant budget updates to Board of Directors.
· Tracks and submits expenses related to development efforts including annual event.
· Works with IT department to maintain contact management database and integrity of development historical and current information/data.
· Completes the organization’s Pennsylvania Bureau of Charitable Organizations Report.
· Prepares development reports for Senior Management for review of outcomes against goals.
· Performs other duties as assigned by manager/supervisor.
· Compose correspondence and presentations with proper spelling, grammar and articulation.
· Communicate accurately and clearly with internal employees and external partners.
· Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
· Work flexible schedule and non-traditional working hours as business requires.
· Professional appearance as required when engaging clients and external partners.
· At least 7-10 years of experience with increasing responsibility in fundraising and donor cultivation and solicitation, including grant research, coordination and securing corporate and foundation grants and gifts. Experience in cultivating major gifts and planned giving initiatives preferred.
· Bachelor’s degree required; degree in Communications, Business, Public Administration or Non-Profit Management preferred.
· Minimum 3-5 years of supervisory or management experience required.
· Excellent writing, interpersonal and presentation skills; highly organized and detail-oriented.
· Negotiation and follow up skills to close donations and sponsorships.
· Outcome driven and strong sense of customer/client focus.
· Entrepreneurial spirit with courage to attempt new initiatives and ability to adjust quickly to changing circumstances or less than ideal outcomes.
· Energetic, fun and interested in working in a fast-paced and collegial environment.
· Ability to work independently and handle multiple tasks and simultaneous projects. Strong sense of follow-through, tenacity, forward thinking and project management.
· Strong Microsoft Office, database and Internet skills. Experience in contact management software, particularly Salesforce TM Software is a plus. Knowledge and experience using fundraising databases required.
· Strong interest or experience working in financial or consumer services and education preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with "Director of Development" as the subject line.