Fall Math Instructor, College Calculus (12th Grade)
- Job posted by SEO (Sponsors for Educational Opportunity)
Details: Starting at a rate of $325.00 per diem.
55 Exchange Place
SEO Scholars is a free eight-year academic program that gets talented, low-income public high school students to and through college.
SEO Scholars seeks Math Instructors to prepare our 12th grade Scholars for the academic transition to college. Instructors will introduce students to some of the key concepts and skills that they will see in an introductory college Calculus course, and guide students as they complete a group project requiring them to apply what they learned during this course within the context of modeling a real-world situation. We are looking for passionate educators with a student-centered approach to teaching and learning.
- Teach a rigorous, inspiring curriculum!
- All lesson plans and all curricular materials are provided.
- High-quality professional development and training
- SEO provides professional development, individual coaching, and opportunities to engage with other instructors in a collegial, inspiring environment that encourages reflection and growth.
- Promote depth of understanding along with skill acquisition
- Instructors are considered thinking coaches and facilitators of learning who support students’ deep engagement with course content.
- Teaching Load - Teach classes of approximately 20 students (approx. 4 hours of teaching per day).
- Attendance & Punctuality - Commit to teach on all scheduled days of programming, arrive to programming on time (30 min before first class), and attend all meetings as scheduled by staff.
- Careful Preparation – Read and annotate all lesson materials prior to teaching.
- Instruction - Follow the required lesson plans and meet lesson objectives. Meet criteria for rigorous instruction.
- Feedback – Provide feedback on student drafts by established deadline.
- Abide by all SEO Procedures and Policies.
Fall Semester classes take place on the following Saturdays: October 13th, October 20th, November 10th, November 17th, December 8th, and December 15th.
In addition to Saturday classes, instructors will grade weekly homework and the final group project.
There is a companion unit to the fall course that will begin in January 2019 (spring 2019 semester). The dates are January 5th, 12th, 19th; February 2nd, 9th, and 16th). Preference will be given to instructors who have a desire to teach both semesters.
Saturday classes will be at Long Island University (Brooklyn) in Downtown Brooklyn.
The ideal candidate:
- Has expertise and depth of knowledge in precalculus, calculus, and math education
- Has high school and/or college teaching experience and a genuine love for teaching
- Is passionate about student learning and dedicated to students’ success
- Has strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Is an energetic, reflective, and conscientious teacher looking to join a supportive and diverse community
- Is flexible and reliable
- Is motivated and inspired by SEO Scholars’ mission
- Is proficient with Google Drive and has familiarity with Google Classroom
To apply for this position, visit our website here: www.seoscholars.org/teach-with-us/
We look forward to reviewing your application!
Minimum Education Required