6301 Little River Turnpike
Job Status: Full-time (Exempt)
Job location: Alexandria, VA
Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Arlington seeks a full-time attorney for its Hogar Immigrant Services program. Hogar Immigrant Services offers a wide range of services at little or no cost to a vulnerable immigrant population, without regard to religious or ethnic identity. Our goal is for immigrants to achieve self-sufficiency and participate fully as productive members of American society.
The Staff Attorney will prepare a wide range of immigration cases for submission to US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Department of State, Immigration Court and the Board of Immigration Appeals. She/he will represent clients before the USCIS Washington District Office, Arlington Asylum Office, ICE Office of Enforcement and Removal Operations, Immigration Court and Board of Immigration Appeals, (BIA), including removal proceedings. The Staff Attorney will coordinate all aspects of a client’s case, including client communication, relevant research, drafting personal statements preparing immigration forms, writing briefs, drafting court motions and orders, and advocacy with law enforcement and other agencies. Additionally, the Staff Attorney will:
- Assist in the supervision of volunteers and student interns. Solicit the help of volunteer attorneys, paralegals, and others to assist with the provision of services when necessary.
- Provide in-service training to staff and volunteers on immigration-related skills and knowledge.
- Provide public education in the community, collaborating with other agencies.
- Participate as needed in agency and program-wide data collection, fundraising, training, and strategic planning.
- Participate in meetings with immigration legal service community-based organizations.
- Participate on a periodic basis in day-long weekend naturalization workshops.
- Prerequisites for the Position:
- Juris Doctor degree and admission to the bar of any state.
- Minimum of two-three years of experience practicing family-based immigration law.
- VA Bar preferred
- Advanced proficiency in Spanish and English (writing and speaking) required.
- Ability to work both independently to manage a substantial workload with deadline pressures.
- Competence in communicating and interacting with others of diverse cultural, geographic, and economic backgrounds in a professional and compassionate manner, including interacting with individuals experiencing substantial levels of emotional, physical, financial, or other hardship.
- Ability to use basic Microsoft Office programs and online case management software.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of Catholic Charities Hogar Immigrant Services.
To apply, please submit your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to jobs@CCDA.net. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls, please. EOE.
Sick, vacation,holiday, pension, medical, dental, vision, mileage reimbursement.
Catholic Charities pays Bar dues and AILA fees.
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficiency in Spanish and English (writing and speaking) strongly preferred.
Minimum Education Required