Full Time Temporary
Details: Starting wage is $21.20 to $24.37 per hour
2530 San Pablo Avenue
Part-time, Temporary; Non-Exempt
THE ECOLOGY CENTER
The Ecology Center is a 47-year-old nonprofit located in west Berkeley. Our mission is to inspire and build a sustainable, healthy, and just future for the East Bay, California, and beyond. The Ecology Center transforms the ideas of sustainability into everyday practice. We offer information you can act on, infrastructure you can count on, and leadership for lasting change. We are working toward a world of resilient communities, zero waste and toxics, equal access to healthy food, sustainable resource use, and a safe and stable climate.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Youth Development Interim Program Coordinator works under the direction of the Youth Development Program Manager II and the Executive Director during the Program Manager’s leave to execute Ecology Center’s professional youth development programming designed to develop the next generation of environmental leaders from the East Bay’s under-resourced communities and communities of color. The Summer Youth Development Program Coordinator leads the engagement of young people ages 15 to 24 from June to August 2018, and provides support to Ecology Center program managers in youth placement and oversight.
- Organize, and execute the annual Summer Youth Environmental Academy.
- Organize and execute internship and mentorship program for Youth Interns and Youth Program Assistants.
- Monitor departmental income and expenses in accordance with annual Youth Development Program budget.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise, and evaluate performance of Youth Scholars, Interns, and Program Assistants.
- Conduct ongoing assessments of program quality.
- Provide significant on-the-job environmental literacy training for youth scholars.
- Maintain key partnerships with City, other Governmental and Non-Governmental agencies in collaboration with Executive Director for the duration of Program Manager’s leave.
- Work with other Ecology Center staff to coordinate Youth Development activities with other programs, participate in weekly staff meetings.
- Ensure that youth participants observe safe operating practices and comply with organizational safety policies.
- Maintain familiarity with, follow, and ensure youth compliance with all Ecology Center policies and procedures in the performance of daily duties.
- Collect data forms and information as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or
ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Significant experience working with youth and coordinating youth programming.
- Strong and practical understanding of adolescent development principles.
- Demonstrated ability to elicit respect and positive rapport with youth interns.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate appropriate structure and processes for youth development.
- Excellent knowledge of youth development techniques and resources.
- Ability to set high professional standards, and be a proactive worker.
- Must possess excellent organizational skills.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Must possess strong team, networking, and group collaboration abilities.
- Must be hard-working and possess a “can do” attitude toward getting the job done correctly and in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work respectfully and effectively with others from highly differing racial, cultural, and economic backgrounds.
- Proven ability to work independently and exercise good judgment in a variety of environments and situations.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google docs, and other applications.
- Experience with evaluation, program improvement, and accountability to public agencies.
- Must possess a valid CA driver’s license.
- First Aid and CPR Certification (or willingness to become certified).
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree, or 5 years of related employment experience.
- Two years progressive experience working with youth.
This position is approximately 28 hrs/week, variable days with flexibility to work weekends.
We value diversity. People of color, people LGBTQIA-identified, women, veterans, and formerly incarcerated individuals are strongly encouraged to apply. EOE/AA
This position is non-benefitted.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY:
- Complete application found at www.ecologycenter.org/jobs/
- Send completed application, resume, and cover letter in pdf format to email@example.com. Please use “Summer Youth Development Program Coordinator” as Subject Line.
Open until filled; please apply early as this position may close at any time.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE