1725 Desales Street Northwest
District of Columbia
Young Invincibles (YI) is the nation’s leading Millennial research and advocacy group, working to amplify the voices of young adults in the political process and expand economic opportunity for our generation. YI seeks a communications coordinator for its Washington, D.C. headquarters. This position will support strategic communications work to advance YI’s policy and advocacy campaigns tied to health care, higher education, careers and finances, and civic engagement. YI’s communications coordinator will be primarily responsible for raising up the voices of young adults in the media, including through creative content development, new media content partnerships, and on YI’s platforms. Additionally, the communications coordinator will contribute to YI’s ongoing press and digital media operations. The ideal candidate should be creative, able to build relationships with a wide variety of young adults, translate complex policy into straightforward language, and is an excellent writer and storyteller. Experience working with media is highly preferred, and basic video or digital skills are a plus.
● Work directly with young adults to elevate their personal stories for media, advocacy, organizing, and policy opportunities
● Identify and proactively secure opportunities for young adults to tell their stories in the media and on online content platforms
● Coach storytellers to prepare them for interviews, videos, op-eds, blogs posts, etc.
● Contribute to communications team’s day-to-day media relations work including developing press lists, writing press materials, media monitoring, and working with student journalists
● 1-2 years experience working in communications, with a preference for media relations
● Command of news trends and a demonstrated understanding of media, including new content
● Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work with a diverse range of young adults
● Creativity and strong writing and editing skills
● Passion for the causes YI champions and a commitment to diversity
● Preference for background in policy, government relations, or advocacy
● Video and digital skills are a plus
About Young Invincibles:
Young Invincibles (“YI”) is a non-profit working to expand opportunity for young adults ages 18 to 34 and amplify the voice of our generation in the national political conversation. Founded by and for young adults in the summer of 2009 during the debate over health care reform, YI has quickly grown into a leading voice for young people on the issues health care, higher education and employment. The organization has achieved major successes in areas ranging from the regulation of college health plans to Pell grants, and has successfully engaged hundreds of thousands of young adults online, through a network of over 100 partner organizations.
Young Invincibles is an equal employment opportunity employer and strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply. Young Invincibles does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, medical condition including genetic characteristics, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, (including transgender status), weight, height, linguistic characteristics (such as accent and limited English proficiency, where not substantially job-related), citizenship status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, & vision coverage, company funded HRA plan; 401K retirement, life insurance, generous vacation, etc.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and write “Communication Coordinator” in the subject of email.