Harm Reduction Counselor
Tapestry is committed to providing high quality, compassionate and community-based care to everyone in our region including the most vulnerable. We are passionate about providing non- judgmental sexual and reproductive healthcare, syringe access and disposal, overdose prevention and education, HIV support and prevention, and WIC family nutrition.
Under the direction of the Assistant Director for LGBTQ health, the Harm Reduction Counselor will be responsible for working as part of a team to provide outreach and education to injection drug users and LGBTQIA+ individuals in regards to HIV prevention. Primary duties will include: developing effective goals and strategies to identify, access, educate and support injection drug users, MSM and LGBTQIA+ individuals in reducing their risk for HIV infection and transmission.
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Valid Massachusetts Driver's License and Access to Reliable Transportation
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS and Harm Reduction principles and practices
- Experience and ability to work with diverse communities across Western Mass.
- Awareness and involvement with LGBTQIA+ culture.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Willingness to be trained in blood draws
- Ability to provide high-quality non-judgmental services
- Strong written and oral communication skills
Experience with social media, dating apps and other online recruitment methods preferred. Blood draws and Bilingual English/Spanish is preferred
*Individuals with relevant personal experience strongly encouraged to apply*
Duties and responsibilities:·
- Conduct Needle/Syringe exchange according to Tapestry Syringe Access Policies and Procedures.
- Identify and access injection drug-using population, MSM and LGBTQIA+ individuals through innovative outreach efforts.
- Assess the education and prevention needs of IDUs, MSM and LGBTQIA+ individuals and their sexual partners
- Maintain cooperative relationships with key leaders that include community leaders, agency staff, external agencies, business owners and others within community.
- Engage with clients to provide education, prevention, and appropriate supported referrals to health services, PrEP and other needed
- Develop peer educators in target populations, and support selected educators with on going training.
- Conduct presentations and provide needed services in various community and substance use related sites. This includes bars, clubs, detoxes, shelters, jails and other gathering sites of targeted Services include the provision of HIV/HCV/STI screening and Narcan distribution.
- Regular travel to needed Tapestry sites and local services agencies. Approximately 10% of working hours will be dedicated to travel time.
- Conduct HIV/HCV/STI screening that includes obtaining blood and urine samples, completion of submission of documentation, charting, and laboratory shipping.
- Participate in advisory committees, external meetings, and other educator and outreach worker networking and professional development opportunities locally and across the state.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Position schedule dependent on the needs of participants and programs. Potential exposure to bloodborne pathogens. Regular street outreach in various weather conditions required. Outreach to bars, clubs and other areas where high-risk sex and drug use regularly occur required. Ability to deal with stressful situations. Ability to provide support to and coverage at other Tapestry harm reduction sites when needed.
Required to occasionally lift up to 25 lbs. Ability to sit at a desk and conduct basic administrative duties. Ability to be outdoors for long periods of time in all weather conditions.
Tapestry provides a comprehensive benefits package to eligible employees, which includes: medical, dental, vision, FSA, 100% employer paid LTD/ADD/life insurance, tuition remission, and an Employee Assistance Program.
Tapestry is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer.
Please send cover letter along with resume to be considered for this position. We want to know about you!
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $16.00 per hour