Details: Salary commensurate with experience
The Pace Women’s Justice Center is an independently-funded legal services center within Pace University School of Law, under the 501(c)(3) nonprofit status of Pace University. Founded in 1991, it was the first academic legal center in the country devoted to training attorneys and others on domestic violence issues. PWJC's mission is to end abuse by providing innovative legal programs including direct legal representation for victims and survivors of domestic violence and elder abuse, training, community education and outreach, service coordination, and information and referrals. Today, with a staff of 24 and over 9,000 hours contributed annually by pro-bono attorneys, volunteers, and law students, the Center provides direct legal services to over 3,000 victims and survivors of domestic violence and elder abuse and conducts over 100 training and outreach events each year.
The Pace Women’s Justice Center has an exciting opportunity for an attorney committed to the Center’s mission to work full time in the Center’s Family Court Legal Program emergency, walk-in site offices located in the White Plains and Yonkers Family Courts. The attorney will work directly with victims and survivors of intimate partner violence seeking orders of protection, custody and child support. As a member of the dedicated Family Court Legal Program team, the attorney will handle on site responsibilities including initial client intake, petition drafting, direct supervision of law students, and representation of clients at order of protection proceedings
· Working in both Family Court Legal Program site offices in White Plains and Yonkers
· Family Court legal advice, petition drafting, and legal representation for victims and survivors of intimate partner violence seeking orders of protection and related relief;
· Direct supervision of law students. Close interaction with Court personnel and partnering agencies, including police departments, counseling agencies, and shelters; and
· Participation in the continuous development of and adherence to best practices in providing legal services to our diverse and vulnerable client base.
· Admitted to practice law in the State of New York
· Substantive knowledge of family law
· Hands-on legal experience in and out of the courtroom
· Demonstrated interest in domestic violence issues
· Empathetic interviewing and interpersonal skills
· Persuasive legal writing and advocacy skills
· Strong time management capabilities
· Ability to provide victim-centered, trauma-informed, and culturally competent legal assistance
Ability to work collaboratively in a variety of contexts and with multiple organizations to facilitate comprehensive services
· Spanish fluency highly desirable
Pace University offers a competitive total rewards package including tuition benefits for employees & their family; flexible work-life options; and generous time off.
Pace University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish Fluency highly desirable
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please visit https://careers.pace.edu and select Staff Positions to view and apply for this position by its job title Staff Attorney - Family Court Legal Program” or Posting Number: S00311P
Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Applicants will be notified if an interview is to be scheduled. No phone inquiries please.