Policy Analyst for Health Reform and Health Equity
- Job posted by Health & Medicine Policy Research Group
29 E. Madison Street
Please note: This is an update to a previously posted position. Applications received since June 14, 2018 are still being considered.
Job Title: Policy Analyst for Health Reform and Health Equity
Supervised by: Director of Health Equity, Center for Public Health Equity
Classification: Exempt, Full-time, Salaried
Health & Medicine Policy Research Group (Health & Medicine) was founded in 1981 as an independent non-profit health policy and advocacy center in Chicago working to improve the health of all people in Illinois by promoting health equity.
Health & Medicine is seeking an individual who will focus on health reform and public health policy issues using a combination of health policy research, analysis, social epidemiology, and advocacy skills with a commitment to advancing social justice and health equity.
Working with the Director of Health Equity within the Center for Public Health Equity, the Policy Analyst will research, analyze, and advocate policy, practice, and agenda reform opportunities in the following areas: 1) healthcare safety net, 2) delivery system reform, 3) health workforce; 4) disabilities; 5) aging; 6) health equity and public health.
The Policy Analyst for Health Reform and Health Equity will provide thought leadership, policy analysis, and advocacy on health care safety net, health reform, Medicaid, aging, disabilities, and health workforce policy issues within the Center for Public Health Equity at Health & Medicine Policy Research Group.
Thought Leadership & Expertise on Healthcare Safety Net, Health Reform and Systems Transformation, and Health Workforce
· Contribute knowledge of Illinois health system reform to inform policy reforms to advance health equity and healthcare access as a human right
· Analyze local, regional, state, and national health policies and initiatives for the development of policy and program framing and implementation recommendations
· Research, analyze, and visualize data relevant to policy development and advocacy
· Develop research papers, policy briefs, factsheets, and presentations
· Disseminate and promote findings and recommendations broadly among various stakeholders
· Assist with framing, organizing, and conducting public forums on Health Reform related policy
· Promote collaboration among projects at Health & Medicine
· Engage health systems, public health partners, and others in a process of advancing health equity via healthcare, social services, and justice across policies that impact people’s lives
· Provide leadership and expertise to the organization’s work on health workforce, healthcare system reform, long-term care, health equity and public health, and related issues as they develop
· Research, analyze and develop written policy analysis and recommendations on strengthening Illinois’ health workforce
· Link health equity, social determinants of health, and public health analysis to achievement of population health improvement within the context of health reform
· Serve as liaison to external coalitions and task forces
· Manage complex, multi-faceted policy development initiatives with coalitions, grassroots organizing networks, researchers, advocates, and policy leaders
· Provide input on convening of partners in stakeholder meetings and regional forums to develop policy and advocacy agendas
· Serve as preceptor to interns
· Engage in institutional organizing to make agendas, policy roadmaps, discourse, and engagement processes more equitable and focused on advancing health equity
· Other general administrative duties as assigned including editing, research, and contributing to fundraising and grant writing
Education and Experience:
· Either a master’s degree, preferably in public health, public policy, social policy, disability studies, psychology, social work, or related field, or 3-5 years of experience in health policy development, advocacy, research, and/or organizing
· Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office
· Experience in a position that required writing on complex policy issues preferred
· Experience with program support, mentoring, community work/outreach, and with underserved communities
· Data research, analysis, and visualization skills/GIS experience preferred
Other qualifications we are looking for:
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to cultivate and sustain relationships with diverse coalitions
· Capability to apply a social epidemiology orientation and skills to health policy issues preferred
· Ability to multi-task and work on several projects simultaneously
· Ability to work in fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment with a team
· Interest in and passion for public health, healthcare access, health equity, and policy
· Strong writing, editing, and communication skills
· Work is normally performed in a typical office work environment
· Sitting for extended periods is required
· Local travel to off-site locations throughout Chicago and suburbs occasionally required
· National travel occasionally required
· Work week is generally 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., some evening and weekend work required
Excellent benefits package including 100% employer-paid health, vision and dental insurance. 401K retirement plan available.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
· Email a cover letter and resume to Ann Duffy at email@example.com. Please write your name (Last, First) then “Policy Analyst” in the subject line of your e-mail. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
· Deadline to apply is August 3, 2018.
· No phone calls. Recruiters please do not contact this job poster.
· Health & Medicine is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity among our board and staff and volunteers. We recruit, hire, train, and promote without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or any other protected status.