The Financial Clinic (the “Clinic”) is a nonprofit on a mission to build financial security and increase financial mobility for America's working poor. After 12 years, the Clinic has demonstrated a “gold standard” model for building financial security for working poor families. A high-performing organization with a focus on results, the Clinic has put over $80 million back in the pockets of more than 48,000 customers, supported more than 360 organizations in 30 states and districts to embed financial security actions into their program models, and successfully launched several policy campaigns in support of working poor families. A landmark national study shows the Clinic’s model of financial coaching helps working poor families move toward financial security.
The Financial Security Ecosystem is a “best practice” model, where financial security is first “baked into” partners’ services and programming to create financial security at scale, as well as accelerate partners' impact. The Clinic’s next Financial Security Ecosystem will partner with multi-service organizations in Boston, Miami, and Newark/Camden, and we anticipate hiring one Manager of Service Delivery to support these organizations remotely out of the Clinic’s main office in Brooklyn, NY. The anticipated start date for this position is March 2018.
The Manager of Service Delivery is a cornerstone in the Financial Security Ecosystem, and is responsible for 1) building financial coaching skills and financial coaching expertise in front-line staff so that they may perform “light-touch” coaching activities; 2) identifying and thinking creatively about challenges and successes of program implementation; and 3) holding one-on-one financial coaching sessions to tackle the trickiest problems faced by ecosystem customers.
The Manager of Service Delivery has the confidence and skillfulness to walk partner organizations through fundamental changes in doing business (i.e., a significant shift in culture) to embed financial security building methodologies into everyday practices, and is able to connect with the low-income customers served by the Clinic. Equally important, she/he is a collaborator and forward-thinking individual, committed to continuous quality improvement.
Reporting to the Clinic's Assistant Director of Services, the Manager of Service Delivery will have the following key responsibilities.
Training and Technical Assistance
Train frontline staff at social service agencies on powerful financial coaching strategies using Change Machine, the Clinic’s cloud-based financial coaching platform. Provide technical assistance to partner organizations to make programmatic changes to their daily operations.
- Deliver training to frontline staff at partner organizations.
- Provide technical assistance to enable partners to take advantage of a suite of ecosystem resources and sustainably adopt them into their programming.
- Identify challenges to the implementation of financial security building practices, and work with leadership at the Clinic and at partner organizations to overcome these challenges.
- Collaborate on creating curriculum for financial coaching workshops.
- Represent the Clinic before diverse audiences. For example, co-host virtual events for the financial security building field that highlight excellent coaching practices, new field trends, and promote the work of The Financial Clinic’s partners.
- Promote the exchange of practitioners’ ideas and best practices in Change Machine’s learning community.
Establish and cultivate a fluid channel of communication between the Clinic and partner organizations
- Work in tandem with Ecosystem Account Manager and Capacity Building Team to ensure the adoption of the financial security ecosystem by partner organizations
- Co-Lead meetings with Ecosystem Account Manager for a diverse set of potential partners and stakeholders to gather information to inform project direction
- Maintain close working relationships with partner organizations, and move partner staff towards adopting change and incorporating financial security practices into their programming.
- Engage with partner agencies to develop processes for making these practices and principles an integral piece of their organizational culture.
- Dispense reports to partner organizations at regular intervals and recommend programmatic changes based on data in these reports.
Provide expert-level financial coaching to Ecosystem customers who have the highest financial security barriers.
- Hold up to 12 meetings per week by telephone or Google Hangout/Skype with low-income customers, helping them deal with the trickiest financial security issues (frozen account, tax lien, etc).
- Record customer information and meeting progress data in online coaching platform precisely, accurately, and on time.
Data Collection, Storytelling and Field Solutions
Collect and evaluate information from the Clinic’s financial coaching platform, Change Machine.
- Work with Clinic and ecosystem partners’ data and evaluation teams to manage data collection and insure data is properly inputted into the online platform.
- Analyze and use data to enhance financial security building programs nationwide.
- Provide continuous feedback and lessons learned from the field to improve partners’ services and Change Machine.
- Communicate the impact of financial security building work and Change Machine on working poor populations using relevant data, customer success stories, and other ecosystem accomplishments
- Four years professional experience in nonprofit direct services or training, and a Bachelor’s degree (Master’s a plus) are preferred but any combination of relevant educational and professional experience will be considered.
- Proficiency in Spanish and/or Haitian Creole preferred
- Background in financial coaching highly preferred.
- Navigates organizational infrastructures and environments to create pathways to communicate clearly and effectively and solve problems.
- Previous experience building teams and ability to do this through technology mediums such as video conferencing and conference calls.
- Ample public speaking experience.
- Demonstrated history with data-driven projects, quality improvement and use of data to enhance performance.
- Can understand organizational cultures and systems to know what are the best strategies to organize, communicate, and analyze that can ultimately reach ecosystem targets.
- Good attention to detail. There will be significant data entry responsibilities.
- Comfort with cloud based platforms.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional organization and process management.
- A passion for issues that impact low-income people.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected organization. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a respected track record. The Clinic offers a competitive compensation package, including:
- Salary is $50,000 with a generous benefits package.
- Excellent benefit package: includes medical, dental, life, 401(k), transportation subsidy and more.
- Ample vacation time: four weeks of paid vacation accumulated during the year plus 12 federal holidays.
- First Fridays: work from home every first Friday of the month.
- Professional Development: after 12 years as a high-performing nonprofit, we still operate like a fun startup with opportunities to contribute and grow.
- Work-life balance: if the generous vacation time and First Fridays haven’t convinced you, let us assure you that we are serious about work-life balance.
- Fun work environment: we work out of a beautifully designed open workspace that promotes team building. We schedule monthly socials to celebrate staff birthdays and have been known to throw surprise parties.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to the attention of Alyssa Keil, Assistant Director of Services.