Criminal Defense Practice Staff Attorney-DNA Unit
- Job posted by The Legal Aid Society - New York City
Headquarters: 199 Water Street
The Criminal Defense Practice of The Legal Aid Society has an opening for a Staff Attorney in its DNA Unit. The Staff Attorney will provide support to attorneys handling DNA matters, advance policy initiatives concerning DNA use and methodologies in criminal proceedings, and litigate systemic DNA related issues as needed.
Staff Attorneys in the DNA Unit are the Society's in-house experts in DNA matters and provide support for Criminal Defense Practice attorneys and other defense attorneys. They maintain caseloads limited to matters where DNA evidence is involved and provide support, including expert assistance and second-seating, for DNA cases handled by other Society attorneys.
The DNA Unit provides citywide support on DNA issues. Staff Attorneys are either assigned to a borough office or to headquarters at 199 Water Street and then deployed to any of the five boroughs as the need arises. When needed, Staff Attorneys assigned to a particular borough may also be called to provide assistance and client services in other boroughs. All members of this citywide unit work together to develop, implement, and coordinate Society policy and litigation strategy concerning DNA matters.
* Represent clients in criminal proceedings involving DNA
* Provide support and assistance for other Society attorneys handling DNA cases
* Provide in-house and external training on DNA issues
* Litigate systemic DNA-related issues
* Provide back-up support for other defense attorneys in New York City
* Policy advocacy on behalf of clients in DNA matters, as needed
* Organize annual forensic conference
* Help plan and implement strategic goals
* Other duties as assigned
Manhattan - Legal Aid Society Headquarters
* Admission to NYS bar
* Ten years of litigation experience
* Felony trial certification
* Experience working on DNA cases
* Substantial background in forensics and the science of DNA or the demonstrated aptitude and willingness to acquire such knowledge and to maintain expertise, particularly in such areas as forensic biology and statistics
* Excellent trial, brief writing, and oral advocacy skills
* Excellent ability to provide training and support assistance for the Criminal Defense Practice and, as needed, Society-wide
* Excellent organizational skills
* Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability and willingness to work as part of a citywide team
Only PDF documents will be accepted. If your document is not a PDF, your application will not be processed. Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be processed.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
The leadership of The Legal Aid Society is committed to a work culture of zealous advocacy, respect, diversity and inclusion, client-oriented defense, access to justice and excellent representation. We are dedicated to building a strong professional relationship with each of our clients, to understanding their diverse circumstances, and to meeting their needs. Our ability to achieve these goals depends on the efforts of all of us.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer -- women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ communities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For technical difficulties or questions regarding this posting, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required