111 E. Wacker Dr
Director of Organizational Development
Service Employees International Union, Local 1
SUMMARY & JOB DESCRIPTION
SEIU Local 1 is seeking a forward-thinking individual in Chicago to create and administer innovative staff development programs that bolster the Local’s long-standing commitment to economic, racial, immigrant and environmental justice. The Director of Organizational Development will design and implement an overall strategy to recruit and develop a diverse workforce while also providing leadership on policies, benefits and practices that support equity and inclusion. This individual will have knowledge of and direct experience with progressive causes.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create and implement Local’s Staff Development programs designed to cultivate greater understanding and advancement of Local 1’s commitment to economic, racial, immigrant and environmental justice.
- Develop and implement an overall strategy to recruit and develop a diverse workforce.
- Provide leadership on policies, benefits and practices that support equity and inclusion.
- Develop HR policies and objectives as well as partner with management to communicate those policies and ensure compliance with them.
- Administer policies and Staff CBA to promote fair/consistent policy application.
- Ensure compliance with State and Federal employment laws (e.g. FMLA, FLSA, and NLRA).
- Improve manager and employee performance by identifying and clarifying problems, implementing solutions and creating a culture of accountability.
- Create employee relations practices for positive employer-employee relationship and promotion of high employee morale, engagement and performance.
- Oversee hiring process including recruitment, interviews, employment offers.
- Manage all on-boarding: orientation, benefits administration and compensation.
- Coach managers in career development, employee relations and talent management.
- Conduct needs assessments, develop and implement all employee training activities.
- Compile employee data, create metrics, analyze data, and make recommendations to address workplace and employment trends.
- Produce and manage job descriptions and administer a uniform standard of proactive semi- and annual employee performance reviews.
- Embrace and take an active role in promoting the concept of continuous process improvement – including metrics – across the local.
- Mentor employees and counsel managers on performance issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in Labor Relations, Industrial-Organizational Psychology, Human Resources, Economics or related field. (PHR/SPHR a plus).
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively higher-level HR or staff development experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity as well as social and economic justice.
- Familiarity and direct experience with progressive causes.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to influence, combined with a roll-up-your-sleeves approach and the ability to execute.
- Proactive and self-driven with the ability to think creatively and impose structure within a flexible environment.
- Highly organized with the ability to multitask and prioritize in a fast-paced culture.
- Demonstrated experience managing in a collaborative environment, earning the trust and credibility of management across an organization.
- Superior written, verbal and interpersonal skills and the ability to calmly and diplomatically deal with conflict.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience;
- Full benefits package including health insurance, a pension plan and available 401-K;
- Car and phone allowance; Moving expenses available.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply: Submit your resume and cover letter to http://seiu1.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2kqigclma5b