110 Wall Street, 5th Floor
About Generation Citizen:
Generation Citizen is an innovative, quickly scaling non-profit that seeks to strengthen our
nation's democracy by empowering young people to become engaged and effective citizens.
Generation Citizen (GC) believes all students have the right to civics education that prepares
them to participate in our democracy. We envision a country of young people working as active
and effective citizens to collectively rebuild our American democracy.
We partner with schools to implement an action civics program that teaches students how to
address community issues through local government. Students learn communication,
collaboration and critical thinking skills and are inspired to become active citizens. As a pioneer
in the field, we also advocate for action civics education on a national scale.
GC students receive an effective, action-oriented civics education that promotes long-term civic
engagement and builds collaboration, communication, and critical thinking skills that students
will need throughout their lives. The result is passionate and responsible civic participation that
will help create the more active citizenry and more responsive government of our future.
This approach is revolutionizing civics education in this country and since 2008 has served tens
of thousands of students. We are led by co-founder and CEO, Scott Warren, who is a recipient of
a Draper Richards Kaplan Fellowship, an Echoing Green Fellowship, and was named one of
Forbes’ Top 30 Social Entrepreneurs under 30.
Generation Citizen has experienced a surge in demand for its Action Civics education program
and is poised for rapid growth. In response, Generation Citizen has developed and is executing
against a three year strategic growth plan. The plan forecasts the organization to strengthen,
expand and scale its impact to reach more than 30,000 students annually, as well as grow the
annual organizational budget from $3 million to $8 million by 2020.
As a member of the national team, the Development Associate plays a central role in
coordinating the development function and systems for our growing organization as we continue
to expand our national footprint and impact. This is an exciting opportunity for an individual
interested in getting in at the ground floor of a small, high-performing development shop,
participating as a key team member as we support a budget of over $5 million annually.
Responsibilities will center around coordinating and maintaining the development database
(Salesforce) that allows us to track prospects, cultivation, and report progress against our goals.
The Associate will also manage and support grant writing and reporting, and work closely with
the Development Director on strategy and execution for national fundraising. The position will
report directly to the Development Director, and will work closely with the Development
Department and the rest of national team.
Specific job responsibilities will include:
Development Operations and Tracking
● Manage comprehensive fundraising database (Salesforce) to ensure that records and
reporting are accurate across sites and national organization
● Create and maintain detailed development reports and dashboards to show progress to
goals and inform strategy at the national and site level
● Train existing and new staff to use Salesforce Database for fundraising to maintain clean
data and consistent processes across the organization
● Proactively research prospects for individual and foundation/corporate donors to identify
new funding opportunities
● Work closely with Director of Development to track and support donor and funder
engagement activity at the regional and national level and ensure accurate and
consistent data collection on activity in CRM
Manage Funder Communications
● Support and write grant proposals, letters and reports for institutional funders
● Support major fundraising projects, with a primary role on the annual appeal; including
the development and dissemination of the annual report
● Support Development Director in National Board of Directors engagement
● Prepare materials for funder and donor meetings
● Manage donor acknowledgment process across the organization with support from the
External Affairs Manager
● Support the External Affairs Manager on the collection and organization of program
impact stories for varied funder communications
● Is passionate about Generation Citizen’s mission
● B.A or B.S. degree
● Exceptional written and oral communication skills
● Experience working with Salesforce or other CRM strongly preferred
● An incredibly strong attention to detail
● A history working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment is preferred
● Strong time management skills and efficient in organizing and managing diverse tasks,
activities, and projects
● Solutions-oriented with a personal drive for ongoing learning and self-improvement in the
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified candidates should send a resume and cover letter, and a list of 2-3 references to
Jobs@GenerationCitizen.org. Please include your name and the position you are applying for in
the subject line of your email. No telephone inquiries please. Generation Citizen is an equal