Triangle Land Conservancy is an accredited and well-respected land trust, having protected almost 19,000 acres in the rapidly growing Triangle region of North Carolina. For 35 years, TLC has conserved land to safeguard water quality, to support family farms and the local food economy, to protect important natural habitat and to connect people with nature. TLC is currently headquartered in downtown Durham and is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity of all kinds in the workplace. www.triangleland.org
The Community Engagement Associate reports to the Director of Development and is responsible for developing and implementing programs and activities designed to increase, engage and retain members and enhance opportunities for public engagement with TLC’s preserves, conservation, and stewardship efforts. He/she works collaboratively with the Communications Manager, Development Manager, Conservation Manager and other team members and supports organizational initiatives as needed. This includes frequent interactions with all staff, board members, donors, volunteers, new and existing community partners, while enhancing opportunities for increasing membership in TLC. This position will involve supervising volunteers serving with Triangle Land Conservancy and short-term interns on occasion. This position works closely with TLC’s AmeriCorps member and may supervise that position in the future.
Essential Duties Include
Membership and Programming
1. Plans, develops and implements ongoing and innovative events, outings, and other activities both on and off preserve sites to retain existing members and engage new members.
2. Schedules and handles registration for events and outings for TLC and coordinates with Communications Manager to publicize events.
3. Create social media and website content relevant to events and outings.
4. Leads planning and implementation of annual membership day event, special events for major donors, and other recognition events and programs.
5. Establishes and maintains a high level of customer service for members, partners, and the community including handling concerns and issues.
6. Tracks success and overall performance of all membership activities; analyzes performance of membership appeals, projections, and trends.
7. Develops social media and online presence for members, pursues outside member discount programs, and other creative fundraising mechanisms.
Event Planning & Management
1. Plans and executes a minimum of two Wild Ideas programs per year. Coordinates with speakers, caterers, venue, and exhibitors to create quality programming that supports and is relevant to TLC’s mission and strategic plan.
2. Collaborate with Development team to customize sponsorship packages and in-kind donation requests for Wild Ideas and other events.
3. Develops the Wild Ideas on the Go program to expand the conservation message to corporate communities.
1. Following Service Enterprise guidelines, coordinate volunteer opportunities for members, potential donors, and corporate and community groups for a variety of TLC events, programs, and projects.
2. Utilize VolunteerHub to unify volunteer records, communicate with volunteers, organize events, and record and publicize hours.
3. Recruit, train, and manage volunteers for conservation workdays, citizen science, event hosting, TLC tabling, and office support.
4. Manages TLC tables at events, leads outings and hikes as needed and oversees training and coordination for volunteers and staff to aid in these efforts.
5. Tracks event participation and volunteer data within TLC’s donor database The Raiser’s Edge NXT for use by TLC staff.
6. Maintain and keep track of volunteer paperwork using VolunteerHub and The Raisers Edge NXT.
1. Actively apply Diversity, Equity and Inclusion lens to all our work and partnerships and work to help TLC become more equitable.
2. Represent TLC on appropriate community boards and committees including but not limited to Durham and Raleigh Creek Week, Durham and Raleigh Bee City Committee, Land Trust Council and EarthShare NC.
3. Maintains communications with existing partners and explores growth opportunities.
4. Document new and existing partnerships and contacts with The Raiser’s Edge NXT.
5. Support relationships with corporations in collaboration with Development Manager to secure sponsorships, volunteers, and develop mutually beneficial projects and programs.
6. Initiate, develop and coordinate community partnerships that raise TLC’s profile in the Triangle community.
7. Coordinate with Conservation Manager on landowner outreach efforts.
8. Participates in the grant process by helping to research and draft proposals and preparing grant reports.
Essential Experience, Technical Skills and Competencies
· BA/BS or equivalent education and/or experience.
· Demonstrated experience working in community outreach, event planning/implementation, volunteer coordination, preferably in a not-for-profit setting, membership organization or other relevant experience.
· Must have a proven ability to work independently, problem solve, and stay organized.
· Proficient in Word, Excel, Outlook, and Social Media required. Word Press and database experience preferred.
· Detail and deadline‐oriented: You are attentive to details, generally get it right the first time, but invite input from other staff. You are accountable.
· Go getter: You are mature, supportive, and dependable, can easily shift back and forth from working autonomously to working collaboratively, and desire to undertake new and varied projects and responsibilities.
· Flexible and capable: You manage changing priorities with ease and get the job done. You take projects from start to finish and anticipate changes in schedules.
· Process‐oriented: You are efficient with setting up and maintaining systems to create high quality work in collaboration with others.
· Great communicator: You have excellent persuasive writing and proofreading skills. You demonstrate poise, diplomacy, and tact when appropriate, but have a natural tendency toward sharing joy, inspiration, excitement, and passion.
· Team player: You actively support a culture where people encourage each other and work together to succeed and/or celebrate the successes of others. You ask for help when you need it and also pitch in to support others.
· Has a strong understanding of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and a commitment to noticing how our work can be more equitable and supporting those efforts.
· Ability to work evenings and weekends as required (not a regular occurrence).
Excellent benefits including, medical, dental, vision, paid annual leave
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a single PDF with your cover letter, resume, and list of three references (who will not be contacted unless you are selected for an interview). Save your application file as: LastName_FirstInitial_TLC (e.g. Carson_R_TLC.pdf).
Please use Community Engagement Associate as the subject and email your application to: HR@triangleland.org
Application deadline: August 26, 2018. No phone calls please.