75 East 116th Street
GETTING OUT AND STAYING OUT
Getting Out and Staying Out is an innovative reentry program serving young men (16-24) during and after their incarceration in New York prisons and jails. We believe that our focus on career and education is the key to helping young men overcome obstacles in reentry and become productive members of society.
- Placement will be on Rikers Island. Ability to travel to Rikers 4-5 days a week is mandatory. MUST HAVE A CAR.
- Provide recruitment, assessment of needs, re-entry planning, referral, and individual and group counseling services, to young men, ages 16-24, currently incarcerated/detained at Rikers Island
- Run job-readiness groups 3 times a week at Rikers Island
- Work closely with Department of Corrections and Department of Education staff, as well as community partners to ensure participant access to educational, vocational, and mental health services while incarcerated
- Manage and supervise volunteers and Social Work Intern staff assigned to Rikers Island
- Conduct follow-up outreach for clients, post-release, encouraging them to visit our program office and continue to access reentry services while working towards their professional, academic, and personal goals
- Maintain detailed records and documentation of client cases
- Continuously seek new resources and opportunities to sustain and/or add any necessary services to satisfy the growing needs of clients
- Minimum of 2 year’s experience providing direct social services, preferably to criminal justice involved individuals
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Good computer skills, including the ability to write reports and enter data into a database
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, including presentation and public speaking skills
- Spanish speaker preferred
- An unwavering commitment to social justice
- Ability to maintain composure and patience in challenging circumstances
- Ability to obtain correctional facility clearance and work within the constraints of facility guidelines
Health benefits and transit check after 3 months. Car mileage reimbursed.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish speaker is highly desired.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send resume, references, and cover letter (a must) to Sarah Blanco, LCSW, Associate Executive Director, Getting Out and Staying Out at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
*No phone calls please. Qualified candidates will be contacted.