Single Subject Credentialed Teacher
YouthBuild Charter School of California
Greater Los Angeles- South LA
About our school: YouthBuild Charter School of California (YCSC) is a public school, chartered by the Inyo County Superintendent of Schools, dedicated to providing an effective alternative education for youth who have not succeeded in traditional school settings. Students come to YCSC to earn a high school diploma and to develop a number of personal skills that will equip them for productive, fulfilling futures. Our approach to education is competency-based; students are guided through a process that results in relevant demonstrations of learning through presentations and projects that demonstrate mastery of state standards. Our instructional strategy is project-based and interdisciplinary, with authentic assessments designed by our teachers.
Our belief in the value of youth as leaders and agents of change in their communities are rooted in the nationally acclaimed YouthBuild program model. Students at YCSC are 16-24 year-old participants in one of several local YouthBuild programs in California. Teachers at YCSC provide students with a classroom-based high school curriculum that values the culture and aspirations of youth while understanding the challenges that students face in under-resourced communities. Currently we provide the education program at 20 YouthBuild programs in California.
Teachers at YCSC provide students with a classroom-based high school curriculum that values the culture and aspirations of youth while understanding the challenges that students face in under-resourced communities. We are looking for teachers who are creative, flexible, progressive, and who truly care about youth who have not done well in traditional school settings.
1. Prepare monthly and weekly lesson plans, based on course outlines and project design templates developed by YCSC teachers.
2. Teach five classes per day throughout the school year.
3. Implement appropriate tools to assess, document and report student progress, on a schedule to be determined in coordination with YCSC.
4. Review and recommend necessary and appropriate materials and equipment.
5. Assess students’ need for special tutoring as necessary.
6. Work and coordinate with other staff to incorporate practical academic learning experiences related to Life Skills, Leadership, Vocational Skills and other appropriate subjects.
7. Identify and provide opportunities in the classroom for students to demonstrate Leadership skills.
8. Participate in at least one community service project per month; attend workshops and conferences as required.
9. Inform Case Management and other appropriate staff of student issues that affect student performance.
10. Review, evaluate, monitor, report and document student attendance and progress, including entering student data into School Pathways in the absence of an on-site registrar.
11. Maintain individual confidential student educational files including work samples, lesson plans, educational progress, attendance sheets and educational service plans.
12. Maintain student portfolios as per the YCSC assessment rubric.
13. Attend all staff professional development opportunities, as scheduled.
14. Monitor student progress in the attainment of the High School Diploma
- California Single-Subject Credential in a Single Subject.
- One year of teaching experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field; masters is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to engage young people from "at risk" conditions in meaningful, interesting and creative learning experiences.
- Experience in administration of assessment tools.
- Experience in curriculum/lesson planning and development.
- Experience in/knowledge of developing individualized educational plans.
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic setting.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to team-teach and work effectively as a part of a team in inter-disciplinary projects.
- Sincere desire to assist young people to succeed, develop self-confidence and become effective community leaders; familiarity with various challenges and issues faced by youth from low-income communities.
- Ability to work effectively with minimum supervision and manage competing priorities.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in making effective decisions and in problem solving.
Salary and Benefits
Starting Salary and Benefits Salary range $51,500-75,000 plus benefits, based on education and experience. Position is full-time; year round, immediate start date, with paid training and preparation time before the school year begins. Position open until filled.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION, AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT EMPLOYER.
Interested applicants should send resume, cover letter. And proof of credential. Please include South LA Math Teacher in subject line. Please email to: email@example.com
We will screen all applicants and select candidates whose qualifications seem to meet our needs. We will carefully consider your application during the initial screening and will contact you if you are selected to continue in the recruitment process. NO PHONE CALLS OR IN-PERSON RESUME DELIVERIES.
Starting Salary and Benefits Salary range $51,500-75,000 plus benefits, based on education and experience.
Health, Vision, Dental & Retirement Benefits
Minimum Education Required