Information Systems Specialist
Details: Salary is commensurate with experience.
NAPHSIS is the National Association for Public Health Statistics and Information Systems. We are a nonprofit member association representing vital records and vital statistics in all 57 US jurisdictions. We are seeking applicants for a new position: Information Systems Specialist. This position will be responsible for the operation and support of NAPHSIS SharePoint platforms, as well as providing backup support for all NAPHSIS information systems. The individual manage NAPHSIS system contracts and data exchange solutions to support both the member jurisdictions, along with a broader customer base for vital records data. The individual will support the ongoing improvement of vital records data and development of data exchange products and functionality. This position will also maintain up-to-date knowledge of national issues related to Electronic Health Records (EHR), support the development of a national plan/policy related to the transmission of EHR data to vital records systems, and support the development of HL7 messages to be used for EHR-vital record data exchange.
This position requires a BA/BS in Statistics, Computer Science, Information Science, Information Technology or a related field, along with three to five years of experience working with information systems in the field of vital statistics.See below for the full position description:
Position Title: Information Systems Specialist
Reports to: Senior Director of Programs
Full time position supporting NAPHSIS SharePoint and its information systems. This individual will be responsible for the operation and support of NAPHSIS SharePoint platforms, as well as providing back up support for all NAPHSIS information systems. The individual will monitor support requests for SharePoint specific needs, ranging from page updates to revamping sites with new features. He/she will maintain technical resources on the Members Only website including the jurisdictional database. He/she will manage implementation of new applications, features and other enhancements to the NAPHSIS SharePoint platforms. He/she will collaborate with NAPHSIS staff to ensure projects are completed in a timely fashion and acts as vendor liaison for NAPHSIS information systems. He/she contributes to other association projects as assigned.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Management of NAPHSIS SharePoint platform
- Makes recommendations for improvements based on current best practices in design, community, user experience, multimedia technology and digital content delivery from a technical perspective.
- Supports NAPHSIS staff & members in training and skill building so that the SharePoint system is fully utilized, while proactively working to increase staff and member usage
- Works with NAPHSIS staff, members and vendors to identify opportunities for collaboration and/or integration across systems
- Cross trained in other NAPHSIS Information Systems to provide operational support.
- Manage NAPHSIS system contracts and data exchange solutions to support both the member jurisdictions, and a much broader customer base for vital records data.
- Support the ongoing improvement and development of data and data exchange products and functionality
- Monitor vendor & consultant contracts and performance
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of messaging protocols, hub-based systems and interoperability
- Promote the use of NAPHSIS owned and operated systems and products to a wide audience
- Support NAPHSIS committees such as eHealth and Inter-Jurisdictional Exchange
- Manage Technical Assistance resources in the Members Only Resource Center including the jurisdictional "database" and respond to inquiries
- Assist in testing, troubleshooting, security and evaluation activities as needed
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of national issues and news related to Electronic Health Records (EHR)
- Support the development of a national plan/policy related to the transmission of EHR data to vital records systems
- Support the development of HL7 messages to be used for EHR-vital record data exchange
- Become active in the EHR demonstration, interoperability and technical connectivity community, build and enhance relationships
- Develop and maintain relationships with vendors and partners related to the continuous improvement of electronic vital records systems, integration, and implementation
BA/BS in Statistics, Computer Science, Information Science, Information Technology or related field
3 - 5 years of experience working with information systems in the vital statistics field
Skills and Experience:
- Modern practices and procedures for researching, accessing and maintaining data and resources.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with information system implementation
- Demonstrated experience with managing information system vendor projects, including vendor contract management and communications
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with creating surveys and analyzing survey results.
- Demonstrated experience with state and/or federal procurement and contracting process.
- Strong computer skills including familiarity with Windows operating system and Microsoft Office product.
- Creativity in problem solving.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills and proven ability to handle multiple competing priorities simultaneously.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, including the ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- High attention to detail.
- Ability to manage concurrent projects.
- Self-directed; ability to work under deadlines; highly organized.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a colleague to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. May require lifting up to 45 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the colleague is required to sit for long periods at a time; type using a computer keyboard; visually read information off of a computer monitor; talk, hear, and orally communicate information over the telephone. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision and color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Travel out of town averages 1 - 2 (2-3 day) trips per quarter.
Any of the 50 United States
NAPHSIS offers a remote work environment.
Please send your resume and cover letter to Shae Sutton at firstname.lastname@example.org. A full background check will be performed in the final round.
NAPHSIS has a full health, financial and education benefits package.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required