Details: • Salary is commensurate with experience. The hiring range for this position is $37,000 to $45,000, depending on experience.
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of North Carolina seeks to hire a skilled multimedia communications professional to support and enhance the organization’s strategic communications, digital outreach, and public advocacy efforts on a range of civil rights and civil liberties issues.
Since 1965, the ACLU of North Carolina has been our state’s guardian of liberty – working in courts, the General Assembly, and communities to protect and advance civil rights and civil liberties for all North Carolinians. A nonprofit, nonpartisan organization with more than 30,000 members across the state, the ACLU of North Carolina is a state affiliate of the national American Civil Liberties Union. For more information about our work, visit www.acluofnorthcarolina.org.
The Communications Associate is a full-time position that will work out of our office in Raleigh as part of a collaborative three-person communications department under the supervision of the Communications Director. Some nights and weekend work required, as well as occasional travel within the state.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Provide support and assistance to the organization’s internal and external communications programs.
- Create and manage digital content including website articles, advocacy emails, event pages, action alerts, online graphics, and social media posts.
- Plan, schedule, and implement a digital communications calendar for website content, promotional emails, and social media posts.
- Create, maintain, and update online press distribution lists of reporters and media outlets for press releases and media advisories.
- Provide communications support to ACLU-NC events, such as online ads, promotional emails, sign creation, in-person technical assistance, and real-time documentation via photography and social media.
- Collect, analyze, and report data from ACLU-NC digital campaigns, such as social media engagement, email open rates, website visits, and more.
- Track and compile ACLU-NC news coverage and help monitor breaking news coverage for civil rights and civil liberties issues.
- Manage the organization’s inventory of promotional materials for public events and outreach.
- Assist with the drafting and design of written materials and publications, such as newsletters, press releases, fact-sheets, PowerPoint presentations, and more.
- Other projects and duties as assigned
Ideal Experience and Qualifications
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU-NC and the advancement of civil liberties and civil rights in North Carolina.
- At least two years of experience in digital communications, journalism, marketing, public relations, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Ability to work well within a team, often in a fast-paced work environment under tight deadlines.
- A commitment to diversity; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance.
- A keen eye for graphic design and visual storytelling. Photography experience is a plus.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Working knowledge of HTML and experience coding emails and/or web pages is a plus.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Canva or similar design programs.
- Experience creating and maintaining website and social media content. Knowledge of Drupal is a plus.
- Some office-funded training and professional development opportunities may be available.
- Excellent medical and dental insurance; disability insurance; life insurance; 401(k) retirement plan with organizational match; phone and travel reimbursements; and generous time off policies.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send applications to Communications Director Mike Meno at email@example.com with “Communications Associate” in the subject line of the email.
Applications should include
- Cover letter describing relevant experience and why you want to work for the ACLU of North Carolina
- Two writing samples
- Links to any other relevant work samples
- List of at least three professional references, including contact information for each.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning October 8, and will be accepted until the position is filled.
The ACLU of North Carolina is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU-NC encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction.