Since 2007 Razia’s Ray of Hope Foundation has empowered young women and girls in Afghanistan through community-based education in the district of Deh'Subz. We provide free education to approximately 700 girls, operating a top-rated K-12 private school for girls along with a post-secondary institute for women — the only such facilities in the district. Led by the founder, president and country director, Razia Jan (2012 Top Ten CNN Hero), the programs have been awarded many of Afghanistan’s top educational honors.
Razia's Ray of Hope Foundation has recently received a sizable gift that will enable us to both create an endowment and expand the organization by building a new school to serve the 300+ girls currently on the waiting list. We are seeking a seasoned Executive Director to bring a new level of creativity and innovation to the organization during this exciting phase of growth.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with proven experience building an organization from a very limited core staff as well as demonstrated fundraising success securing significant gifts from high-net-worth individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- Provide vision and direction to lead Razia’s Ray of Hope growth strategy.
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors to develop, execute, monitor, and refine a strategic plan.
- Manage all aspects of development, financial, communications, and programmatic activities.
- Recruit, supervise, and review all staff members (currently a team of 4-5 staff and consultants which we would like to build on.)
- Oversee the Afghan programs to ensure compliance with strategic plan and state, federal, and international authorities.
- Oversee the reporting of financial activities.
- Cultivate, solicit, and steward key individuals, foundations, and corporate donors, and ensure ongoing engagement of existing donors.
- Oversee the development of materials to be used for outreach to potential donors.
- Oversee the coordination of and attend fundraising and public service events.
- Serve as a public face of the organization and expand the organization’s profile.
- Manage the development of sustainable funding plans to ensure future program needs.
- Report to the 6-12 member board of directors on a monthly basis and participate in quarterly board meetings and other meetings as necessary, in person or virtually.
- Travel to Afghanistan twice a year (post-Covid and providing travel conditions to and in the country is safe.)
- Demonstrated passion for the mission, goals, and values of Razia’s Ray of Hope Foundation and girls education.
- An understanding of both American and Afghan culture.
- Five+ years of experience in:
- creating and managing a strategic plan;
- fundraising and development for successful nonprofits;
- operations and financial controls management; and
- management with a concentration in donor relationships.
- Significant experience presenting in front of small and large groups.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Strong writing skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Superior organizational, time-management, and critical-thinking skills.
- High level of initiative and motivation with a strong work ethic.
- Bachelor’s degree, Masters (or higher) preferred.
- Ability to participate effectively in a collaborative group process; this includes listening and working well with board members and staff, respectfully providing feedback, and encouraging a diversity of ideas.
This position is currently remote. We are accepting applications from those living anywhere in the U.S., though the current staff and board reside in Los Angeles and Boston.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Razia’s Ray of Hope Foundation at: HR@raziasrayofhope.org