Job Summary: The Director of Employment and Education is responsible for all education and employment programming that Project HOME offers to its approximately 1,000 residents and to the adults living in the surrounding community in North Philadelphia. This is a significant growth opportunity as Project HOME embarks on a substantial expansion of training and employment services to both end and prevent homelessness.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead new program development and an ongoing continuous improvement process to ensure continuing high quality and high impact services.
- Responsible for strategic employer partnerships and collaboration with partner service providers to achieve job placements with good retention, manages budgets and contracts, and ensures staff maintains accurate and timely records in the database management system regarding staff activities and department outcomes for program evaluation purposes.
- Effectively supervise Employment Specialists, Training and Education staff, and benefits counselor to help residents and community members achieve their education and employment goals. Process includes: intake, goal setting, job search and/or skill building, and partnering with residential staff around case management, as needed, and post-employment supports.
- Ensure a high level of accountability among staff for outcomes and follow through on their commitments to residents and community members
- Stay abreast of regional labor market trends and develop/maintain employer partnerships to access living wage job opportunities for Project HOME residents and community members. Strategically identify and develop new vocational training that leads to living wage jobs. Deepen continuous improvement process, incorporating feedback from employers and participants to better inform program design and growth.
- Attend relevant community meetings,conferences and partner meetings to advance training or employment opportunities for residents
- Oversee and ensure compliance with all Education and Training program contracts, and meet reporting requirements
- Develop and manage program budgets, providing good stewardship over resources. Ensure staff maintains accurate employer records, resident employment records, caseload efforts, and participant outcomes.
- Current programming includes:
- One-on-one employment services using the Individualized Placement and Support Model,
- Basic education classes (e.g., GED),
- Certification courses (e.g. Peer Specialist, MOS, forklift),
- College access services,
- Job Fairs,
- Benefits counseling.
- Masters Degree preferred, with at least three years of experience working with individuals who have had significant barriers to employment, including history of homelessness, incarceration, substance use disorder or mental health issues.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Equally comfortable with business leaders and individuals seeking to overcome obstacles to employment.
- A sales/marketing aptitude.
- Able to effectively communicate with hiring managers and corporate partners to support the placement of our program participants into jobs.
- Knowledge of regional labor markets in multiple industries, adult learning strategies and experience working with people with barriers to employment.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and general computer skills
- Commitment to Project HOME’s mission and values.
- Knowledge of supported employment model.
- Strong network of business leaders in Philadelphia.
- Experience with Efforts to Outcomes or other evidence-based tracking software.
- Experience and/or interest in recovery, mental health, poverty, and social justice.
Project HOME is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a drug screen and background checks.
Project HOME reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as needed. This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive statement of the duties and responsibilities of the job nor does it constitute a written or implied contract.