Special Education Non-Cat Lead Teacher (Elementary K-5) - SY 18-19
- Job posted by Bridges Public Charter School
Full Time Contract
Details: salary based on education, years of experience and certifications.
100 Gallatin St. NE
Bridges is seeking a Special Education Lead Teachers to lead non-categorical self-contained classroom for elementary school students with high level special needs. Leading classrooms for students in grades Kindergarten - 5th grade. The teaching team will consists of 1 lead teacher and 2 Assistant Teachers. There may also be one dedicated aides in the classroom. The classroom planned enrollment size is 8 students. The classroom is rooted in the principals of ABA/VB to guide instruction and classroom management. Supervision is provided to all teaching team members by a certified BCBA practitioner. ABA or VB experience is desired but not necessary to apply for the position. Training in classroom based ABA and VB will be provided. The position is a 10 month positions.
Bridges mission is to provide an exemplary educational program that includes all students. Our developmentally appropriate, student and family-centered educational approach nurtures students to expand their developmental skills, in order to build a foundation for life-long learning. Bridges Public Charter School serves student in grades Pre-K3 to 5th grade.
Bridges PCS is a multicultural program; we are looking to hire individuals of diverse backgrounds to join our school staff to reflect the multicultural demographics of the students we serve.
Learn more about our school by viewing our website and this short film: http://bridgespcs.org/
The ideal candidate will:
- Be “highly qualified” and have: a Masters Degree in Special Education and certification in Special Education; a Masters Degree in Special Education; or a Bachelors Degree and certification in Special Education.
- Have 1 to 2 years of successful classroom teaching experience in an urban school setting. 2 or more years of teaching experience is preferred.
- Be a strong classroom manager.
- Be committed to meeting the needs of a diverse student population.
- Have a track record of being a team player and community minded.
- Be committed to their own learning including training in ABA/VB.
- Excellent time-management skills and ability to work independently.
- Passion for public schools.
- Adherence to a high level of professional and ethical standards.
- Plan and manage a non-categorical self-contained kindergarten grade classroom with high level special needs students and assistant teachers.
- Plan and implement a program of instruction using the school's curriculum (Readers and Writers Workshop, Math in Focus, FOSS, Social Studies Alive, and Second Step). Ensure the program of instruction meets the individual students' goals and objectives on their IEPs and is aligned with Common Core Standards.
- Collaborate with ABA/VB Program Manager to implement classroom’s ABA/VB program. This includes planning for: classroom environment, natural environment teaching, small group and whole group instruction, discrete trial instruction, behavior management protocols, and reinforcement systems.
- Assess student progress regularly using VBMAPP.
- Modify and administer classroom based and school-wide assessments to document student's progress.
- Regularly collect data to track students’ progress in 3 program areas: curriculum, IEP, and ABA/VB.
- Complete quarterly progress reports (IEP progress reports and curriculum progress reports).
- Collaborate with related service providers, special education coordinator, curriculum coordinator, ELL Teacher and student parents to plan for student needs.
- Implement and maintain student’s Functional Communication Protocols and Behavior Protocols to respond to students' behavior appropriately and successfully.
- Participate in the IEP process by writing present levels, IEP goals, and providing thoughtful reflections during team meetings.
- Coordinate with general education teachers to create opportunities of inclusive learning.
- Support the creation of a classroom culture and environment that develops and nurtures the emotional, cognitive and social abilities of the students.
- Engage parents and families in their student's learning and acting as an ambassador for the school in the community.
- Contribute productively to the school as a whole.
- Attend and participate in school events outside of regular school hours.
- Other duties as assigned.
Employees will be contracted yearly. Employment Agreements will be renewed according to evaluations and staff interest. Health benefits (medical & dental), disability insurance, and a retirement plan: 401-(k) or the continuation of the DCPS retirement plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Strong speaking and writing skills needed in English.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply for this job us must us the following link or go to the following website: