Details: Expectation of half-time availability of 20 hours per week dedicated to YNPN.
The Young Nonprofit Professionals Network (YNPN) activates emerging leaders in the social sector by connecting them with resources, people, and ideas. We are one of the nonprofit sector’s largest capacity-building organizations, serving more than 50,000 members via our network of 44 chapters in cities across the United States and Canada.
The first YNPN chapter was founded in 1997. Though we have been around for more than 20 years, we are in the midst of an exciting time of rapid growth and development as an organization. We have the energy and resources of a start-up organization and a network that has grown exponentially in the last few years. There is a clear demand for YNPN and the work we do, and we have spent the last few years investing in our infrastructure and capacity to meet that need.
We are working to build a diverse and powerful social sector that can strengthen and support our communities. Every day we get to work with the smartest and most passionate leaders in the social sector to make that vision a reality. We are seeking a Network Engagement Manager who shares our passion and is excited about applying their skills to advance our network and its members.
The Network Engagement Manager will report directly to the Executive Director and lead and execute YNPN’s communications and member engagement strategy. This is a half-time position focused on mobilizing our members to be more engaged in our work and elevating their voices and expertise in the sector.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Create, lead, and execute communications strategy to raise the visibility of YNPN to members and potential members and ensure that we are a leading voice in the social sector.
- Develop and implement annual strategic communication plans that include goals, activities, materials, and performance indicators.
- Work with the National Voice Committee of the National Board to develop an advocacy agenda and surface the voices and expertise of our members.
- Oversee and create YNPN’s digital communication, including the content for the website, social media, and newsletters.
- Work with the Executive Director to develop the content and collateral for the fall individual giving campaign.
- Manage media relationships and proactively pitch stories to news organizations, sector publications, and others.
- Work cooperatively with the staff, board, and members of our network to market key events and campaigns.
- Work with the Executive Director to manage partnership relationships, particularly as they relate to benefits for members.
- Oversee the promotion and execution of the virtual component of the YNPN conference.
- Identify challenges and issues facing the nonprofit sector and work with staff, Board, and members of the network to recognize internal and external opportunities for YNPN to address those challenges.
- Build relationships with our chapters and members of our network to inform our communications and organizational strategy.
- Directly supervise and mentor two Launchpad Fellows (Communications Coordinator and Community Engagement Coordinator) to fully utilize their strengths, ensure effectiveness within their roles, and help them grow as professionals.
- Represent YNPN at conferences and events.
How We Work
- Our staff and board work together virtually with in-person meetings happening throughout the year. We also sometimes work outside the traditional 9 - 5 hours because we work with volunteers who are in different time zones. We provide flexible schedules, generous vacation, and occasional compensatory time to allow our staff to find the work-life balance that works for them.
- We are a collaborative team that is committed including the voices and input of our members and chapter leaders in the development and execution of our work. Previous experience working with members and volunteers would be helpful, but more important is enthusiasm for serving and elevating the grassroots of our network.
- Individual retirement account (IRA) with contributions matched up to 2% of salary
- 3 weeks paid vacation in first year
- Professional development funds
- Access to supplemental health, life, and disability insurance
- Flexibility and support for work/life balance
YNPN is headquartered in Portland, Oregon, but candidates anywhere in the continental United States are welcome to apply. Given the amount of travel required for the position, proximity to an airport is required.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Demonstrated success in nonprofit communications, marketing, and/or advocacy
- Strong understanding of current communication trends and technologies
- Outstanding personal communication skills and high degree of emotional intelligence, with a proven track record of exceptional relationship-building with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Deeply values and advocates for equity, diversity, and inclusivity
- Skilled staff manager, with experience in motivating and leading staff, setting objectives, and managing performance
- Innovative thinker and problem solver, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and results
- Comfort taking a team-oriented approach to problem solving
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and also as part of a team that includes not just our staff and Board but also our members, chapters, and partners across the country
- Uses data to make decisions and excels at communicating with diverse audiences about the goals, progress, and outcomes of their work
- Mission-driven individual with demonstrated interest in the nonprofit sector and issues related to YNPN’s work
- Comfort working remotely and communicating with teammates and stakeholders primarily through digital channels
- A willingness and ability to travel 3 - 6 times per year for meetings, conferences, and events
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Thank you for your interest in joining the YNPN team! We recommend submitting your application before March 20, 2018, though applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis. Please apply online at http://www.ynpn.org/current-openings.