Details: Salary commensurate with experience.
PO Box 51196
Title: Major Gifts Officer (full-time, exempt)
Reports to: Deputy Director of Development - Major Gifts
Location: Washington, DC
The Major Gifts Officer – Eastern Region is responsible for implementing a strong and innovative fundraising strategy to solicit and secure principal and major gifts from a portfolio of donors who support the organization with an annual gift of $10K+. The position will also be responsible for building a pipeline of new and prospective major donors in the region and work closely with the Major Gifts Manager to support these efforts. The Major Gifts Officer will work independently as well as interact with the founders of Giffords to support their development efforts and donor relations. The Major Gifts Officer is a key member of the development team and will significantly contribute to the organization’s revenue goals by soliciting and securing high five- and six-figure gifts. This position requires up to 50% travel and work on occasional weekends and evenings.
Duties + Responsibilities:
- Develops and manages a portfolio of major donors and prospects to hit forecasted revenue goals
- Maintains a fast-paced schedule with face-to-face visits to steward current donors and engage new major donor prospects
- Manages and tracks all stewardship strategies and solicitation activity using a moves management system in the organization’s CRM
- Writes individualized cultivation, solicitation and stewardship letters, proposals and reports
- Coordinates major donor cultivation events in the region including exclusive small dinners and receptions
- Strategically oversees and facilitates donor engagement efforts for the organizations’ founders and senior leadership, including trip planning and management, securing, and staffing principal level donor meetings for current, lapsed and prospective funders
- Performs other duties as assigned
Essential Skills + Experience:
- At least 5-7 years of experience with direct major donor solicitation and securing major and principal gifts from high net worth individuals and foundations
- A demonstrated ability to manage multi-faceted projects and a capacity to perform independently in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment
- Outstanding analytical, strategic planning, time management, and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to influence and engage diverse audiences and to build long-term relationships, including experience leveraging executive-level staff and volunteers to achieve fundraising success
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including presentation skills and ability to create proposals
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and experience with fundraising CRM’s required; experience with EveryAction 8 is preferred
- Strong organizational, written and verbal communication skills
Salary commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance, 401k plan with employer match, and paid holidays.
Giffords is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to assembling a diverse staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Giffords is a nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives from gun violence.
Led by former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and her husband, Navy combat veteran and retired NASA astronaut Captain Mark Kelly, Giffords inspires the courage of people from all walks of life to make America safer.
Competitive benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance, 401k plan with employer match, and paid holidays.
Minimum Education Required