Senior Assistant Director, Development Communications
130 East Randolph Street
About the Unit
Join the University of Chicago Medicine and Biological Sciences Development (MBSD) team during a time of exciting momentum under the leadership of seasoned, dedicated, and talented professionals. This is a unique career opportunity to work with a dynamic organization driving the visionary and fundraising themes for the University of Chicago Campaign: Inquiry and Impact. Of the $5B Campaign, $1.2B will support medicine and biological sciences in research, patient care, and education and training programs, including several transformational initiatives. MBSD's mission is to inspire and facilitate philanthropy at the University of Chicago Medicine by building relationships with those who share its goals of advancing excellence in research, education, community, and patient care. We accomplish this mission through expertise, integrity, creativity, and collaboration. Be part of a team of colleagues whose commitment and contributions enable success and global impact in a bold Campaign.
The Senior Assistant Director, Development Communications writes a broad spectrum of fundraising materials created for a specific audience such as a prospective donor, family foundation, corporation, or volunteer solicitor. S/he takes comprehensive responsibility for the materials such as, but not limited to: building a persuasive case for each written piece; considering the specific audience; identifying influential facts or statistics; fact checking; and establishing, monitoring, and executing a timeline. S/he is responsible for written materials and projects such as: proposals; correspondence including acknowledgement letters; cultivation visits/meetings; stewardship reports; Power Point presentations; and conceptualization of a stewardship meeting.
- Researches, writes, and edits a variety of communications, publications and/or reports.
- Writes analytic, interpretive, or highly individualized features utilizing personal subject matter expertise.
- Coordinates efforts and collaborates with other teams at MBSD such as Communications (including graphic design and the Senior Writers); Events; Strategic Research and Analysis.
- May project manage the team’s activity and be responsible for implementing tactical next steps to ensure goals and objectives are met. As such, s/he closely monitors team activity and anticipates and tracks deliverables, including letters, briefings, reports, presentations, and proposals.
- Facilitates internal meetings and facilitates fundraiser visits with donors and prospective donors to advance prospect strategy.
- Knowledge of grammar, punctuation, spelling and style
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Editing skills
- Proven expertise taking complicated information from various sources and synthesizing it to identify and clarify key issues and opportunities, as well as developing a compelling message
- Ability to manage multiple details while adhering to a broader concept or purpose
- Ability to understand finance and quantitative documents
- Capacity for identifying and evaluating basic issues, for bringing together information from a variety of sources, and for selecting appropriate analytical and creative approaches in dealing with immediate responsibilities
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications or a relevant field
- A minimum of 3 years of experience writing and editing in either journalism, academia, science, or a related field
- Experience with writing in a scientific field or a complex subject material is preferred.
- Experience in a large or complex organization or subject matter is preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply