The National Indian Health Board is seeking highly skilled, confident candidates with substantial national-level media relations experience for the senior level position of Communications Director. The Director is responsible for staffing and managing the Communications Department staff, overseeing all organization-wide external and internal communications and messaging, providing high-level leadership on content and materials that are in line with the organization’s vision, brand, culture, and purpose. The Director will generate excitement about NIHB events and conferences and initiatives through marketing materials creation and outreach strategy development and execution. The Communications Director is the main media contact for the organization and is effective at garnering earned media coverage. The Communications Director is driven by a commitment to NIHB’s mission and strives to cultivate media perception of the organization and is aligned with the organization’s mission, audiences, and priorities.
The successful candidate will possess political acumen in both Tribal and mainstream settings and must be an expert at communications in varying forms; from written press releases to policy position statements, from social media to public health, legislative and fundraising campaign materials, from writing speeches for someone else to deliver or for the Communications Director to deliver during public events. The successful candidate will be versatile, quick-thinking, able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, creative and productive in a high-pressure, fast-moving environment. The successful candidate will be able to “make things happen.”
This is a full time, Washington DC-based position; travel will be required.
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, political science, English or related field required. Master's degree preferred
• Seven to ten years of related media or communications work experience with a national nonprofit organization, on Capitol Hill, or as a political appointee.
• Specialization in communications, media relations, journalism with a focus on healthcare, health research, or health policy strongly preferred
• Demonstrable successful track record in managing people and projects
• Proficiency in social media tools in media relations
• Experience with Tribes or national Tribal serving not-for-profit organizations
The National Indian Health Board is seeking highly skilled, confident candidates with substantial national-level media relations experience for the senior level position of Communications Director. The Director is…
Qualified candidates are invited to send your cover letter, resume, and writing samples to email@example.com, with your name and title of the position you are applying to in the subject line. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until a qualified candidate is secured.
NIHB is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please see www.nihb.org for more information.
Qualified candidates are invited to send your cover letter, resume, and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org, with your name and title of the position you are applying to in the subject…