55 Exchange Place
College Persistence Advisor, SEO College Scholars
Immediate opening for a College Persistence Advisor to join SEO College Scholars team.
SEO College Scholars is seeking a College Persistence Advisor to join our team. Our team currently supports over
825 students that are attending over 175 colleges across 25 States, with a 90% college graduation rate. We achieve this by providing boot-camp style workshops before students begin college, one-on-one support and academic advising throughout the year, as well as ongoing large-scale career exploration and networking events.
- Provide personal, academic and career support to case load of 60-70 students and any additional guidance and case management throughout college as needed
- Document student progress, proactively identifying issues and challenges, bringing them to the attention of the team manager for reparative action
- Maintain and collect student data on an ongoing basis, making regular assessments of individual student progress towards degree completion
- Create, design, implement effective training on a range of topics relevant to college success
- Provide career advising for cohort of students, including mock interviews and providing cover letter feedback
- Contribute to planning annual conferences for college students, as well as design and deliver a training
- during the conference
- Contribute to and write student and department reports (for internal and external audience)
- Provide regular updates and information about students to external corporate partners in a timely manner
- Work will typically be done in the office, during regular business hours
- Occasional evening and weekend work is required, dependent on program needs
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Required: Successful completion of graduate degree in: Counseling, Social Work, School Counseling, School Psychology or related field from an accredited university
- One year of graduate school field placement, internship or work experience within either youth- focused or education-focused agency
- Experience in working with middle/late adolescent age groups – high school and college students, with measurable outcomes and results
CORE COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Demonstrated passion for closing the achievement gap on the high school and/or college level for first generation and low income students
- Ability to handle numerous large and small-scale projects that have multiple steps and varying deadlines
- Self-starter who has a sense of humor, is team-oriented, and is willing to do what it takes to get the work done (whether it is their responsibility or not)
- Ability to balance external partner demands with internal organizational demands
- Must be creative both visually and in the approach to achieving individual and department goals
- Proficient in MS Office: Word, Excel, & Outlook
Interested candidates should send their resumes and cover letters to Florence Capinding at CollegeScholars.Staffing@seo-usa.org and include "College Persistence Advisor" in subject heading. Competitive salary commensurate with experience. No phone calls please. Qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews. The target start date is September-October 2018.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage
- 15 paid vacation days, 4 personal days and 13 paid holidays a year
- Eligible to participate in 403b TIAA-CREF retirement plan with employer contribution
SEO Scholars is a free eight-year academic program that gets low-income public high school students to and through college–with a 90% college graduation rate. In high school, we offer intensive year-round academic preparation via a carefully-calibrated, rigorously-assessed course of supplemental education. In college, we continue to support students through each of their four years, providing one-on-one academic, personal and career exploration support. For the 2018-19 school year, SEO is serving more than 1000 High School Scholars and over 825 College Scholars matriculated in more than 175 campuses across 25 States.
SEO Scholars is a College Board Innovation Award Winner (2011), has received independent evaluation from Policy Studies Associates confirming the program's effectiveness, and in 2013 won the "Effective Philanthropy in Urban Communities" grant from Columbia Business School, after competing with 137 non- profits in the Education sector. SEO has received media coverage on USA Today, New York Post, NBC News Education Nation, and ABC7, to name a few. Additional information on SEO Scholars can be found on our website: seoscholars.org.
Sponsors for Educational Opportunity is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/D/V
Minimum Education Required