40 Worth Street
VOLS seeks a Project Director to lead our Unemployment Insurance Advocacy Project. Through this Project, VOLS recruits, trains, and supports pro bono lawyers to enable them to represent unemployment benefits claimants at administrative hearings. In 2016, nearly 40 lawyers from 12 law firms volunteered and won $434,000 in unemployment benefits for low-income claimants.
The Project Director will be responsible for building on and improving this successful project. Specifically, the Project Director will:
· Recruit, train, and mentor volunteer lawyers,
· Work with VOLS' senior management to raise funds for the project,
· Explore new ways for VOLS to engage volunteer lawyers in advocating for low-wage workers, including expanding the scope of the project,
· Monitor VOLS’ unemployment benefits hotline, conduct intake, and assess unemployment benefits matters,
· Maintain VOLS' relationships with law firms participating in the project, and recruit new law firms,
· Develop and disseminate best practices for project participants, and
· Communicate about the project through traditional and social media
· J.D., admission to the New York bar, and at least two years of relevant legal experience
· Excellent writing skills
· Excellent public speaking skills - must be comfortable making presentations and conducting trainings at large law firms
· Must be creative and have a passion for social justice
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office and familiarity with case management software/databases
· Fluency in languages other than English, especially Spanish, is a plus.
Salary DOE, excellent benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
After reviewing www.volsprobono.org, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line "Unemployment Insurance Advocacy Project Director Application." Please state your salary requirements in your cover letter. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone or email inquiries, please. VOLS is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, nationality, creed, age, disability, sexual orientation, biological sex, gender identity/expression, family status, or any other basis prohibited by law. We strive to build and maintain a diverse staff, and we encourage candidates of all backgrounds/identities to apply for this position.