284 Madrona Way NE Ste. 116
YES! Media seeks an experienced newsroom manager.
YES! Media is a nonprofit, independent publisher of solutions journalism. Through rigorous reporting on the ways communities are responding to social problems and insightful commentary that sparks constructive discourse, YES! inspires people to build a just and sustainable world. Founded in 1996, it helped drive the modern “solutions journalism” movement, covering the communities, ideas, and initiatives working to build a better world. YES! is reader-supported, with no paywalls or advertising. It is nonpartisan and governed by a board of directors made up of journalists, thought leaders, and community activists. It publishes stories daily online and quarterly in a print and digital magazine. In 2017, each issue of YES! Magazine reached more than 150,000 readers, and yesmagazine.org averages nearly half a million unique users each month.
This position offers the opportunity to work with experienced writers, editors, and designers to produce YES! solutions journalism for both the website and print magazine.
The Managing Editor assists the Editorial Director in all matters necessary to the production of YES! journalism. The managing editor brings energy, creativity, and collaborative leadership to the newsroom as well as the organization. For the editorial team, the managing editor displays problem-solving and good judgment, setting strategies and priorities for our everyday journalism as well as special projects and the quarterly print magazine. The managing editor facilitates meetings and ensures staff needs are met, supervises website production and quality control. Good communication skills are a must—smart, respectful, and clear in person and in writing. The managing editor is often the point of contact for people outside of YES!, including media attorneys, media partners, authors, sources, activists, and funders. The managing editor is focused on systems analysis: encouraging a smooth-running team and using all available tools to grow our reach and impact. The position offers the opportunity to be involved in all aspects of YES! journalism.
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Paid sick and vacation
Level of Language Proficiency
The person we’re looking for:
- You’ve got a lot of experience managing production in a newsroom and know how to support editors and reporters.
- And you’ve got your own excellent journalist skills to offer.
- You’ve got a list of YES! story ideas a mile long.
- You’re an excellent communicator and collaborator, diplomatic and thoughtful. Former co-workers and direct reports have loved working with you.
- You’re highly organized. Highly. Organized.
- You’re a problem-solver, always looking for systems efficiencies.
- You love to juggle ten projects at once. You’re fast and productive.
- You understand the difference between journalism in the progressive space and advocacy work.
- You have a deep understanding of progressive ideas and social justice solutions.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please send an approximately 300-word cover letter and resume. Include two professional references that we may contact if you are contacted for an interview.
Additionally, please include:
- One 50-100 word pitch for a YES! article. Feel free to use our solutions journalism pitch form as a guide.
- In a few sentences, tell us about your favorite media websites and magazines and which are doing great journalism—and why.
We prefer to receive all materials as a single PDF. Send an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Managing Editor” in the subject line.
YES! Media is an equal opportunity, employer. We welcome qualified applicants of all races, ethnicities, genders, and sexual orientations.