Headquarters: 199 Water Street
The Parole Revocation Defense Unit has an immediate opening for a Staff Attorney. The PRDU Staff Attorney represents clients accused of violating their conditions of release at administrative parole revocation hearings held at the Rikers Island Judicial Center, federal detention facilities, and hospital prison wards throughout New York City. The Staff Attorney also appears on behalf of clients at related habeas corpus proceedings, administrative appeals, and other post‐conviction proceedings. The practice is fast‐paced and litigation‐intensive.
PRDU maintains offices at 199 Water Street, but attorneys spend significant amounts of time at Rikers and other facilities in the NYC area.
* Responsible for handling parole revocation at all stages, including preliminary hearings, calendar appearances, discovery practice, negotiations, contested hearings, administrative appeals, and post‐ conviction hearings
* Work with unit support staff, paralegals, and investigative staff to provide zealous and effective defense representation
* Partner with PRDU social work team to identify and develop mitigation for clients who have mental health and/or substance abuse issues, medical needs, or who are otherwise suitable for alternatives to incarceration
* Other duties as assigned
Manhattan - Legal Aid Society Headquarters
* NYS Bar Admission
* 3 years of relevant experience or more
* Strong courtroom skills
* A background in criminal and/or administrative law or prison-related litigation is particularly relevant
* Fluency in Spanish is strongly preferred
Only PDF documents will be accepted. If your document is not a PDF, your application will not be processed. Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be processed.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer -- women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ communities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required