Details: Salary DOE
8101 S. Vermont Avenue
To help transform the social and economic conditions in South Los Angeles that foster addiction, crime, violence and poverty by building a community institution capable of involving thousands in creating, influencing and changing public policy.
Community Coalition is a non-profit social justice organization working to address social and economic conditions in South LA by empowering residents to fight for policy solutions that build up the community. Since 1990, Community Coalition has built a groundbreaking, community-driven approach to creating change. We elevate the voices of our members, shift power to the community, and tackle the root causes of poverty, crime and violence. Together we are creating a more prosperous, safer and healthier South LA.
Community Coalition’s projects and victories include stopping the expansion of liquor stores in South LA, supporting gang violence prevention programs, creating foster and family care support programs, hosting art and music festivals and healthcare enrollment fairs. Community Coalition has also registered and mobilized thousands of voters in South LA, participated in the process to create a federal Promise Zone for South Los Angeles and creates leadership opportunities for young people with the South Central Youth Empowered through Action program and Freedom School, among other projects.
Community Coalition is an equal opportunity employer. People of all races, religions, and gender identities are encouraged to apply.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Under the supervision of The Vice President of Organizational Growth, The Director of Communications will be a key contributor in meetings about strategy, growing and engaging our membership, developing new projects and more. Your expertise in strategic communications will inform every facet of Community Coalition’s work, from our lobbying efforts, our digital presence and outreach to South Los Angeles residents. Additionally, this position is responsible for crafting and executing campaign messaging and media strategy that will change the narrative around the challenges and opportunities facing South Los Angeles.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Other duties may be assigned):
- Working with the executive team to guide the direction of Community Coalition as an organization and its programs.
- Representing Community Coalition as the primary spokesperson in statements to the media and public.
- Being the first point of contact for any members of the media, including issuing press releases and advisories, offering quotes and building relationships with key reporters, including conversations on background.
- Mapping out and managing Community Coalition’s social media presence, website and online campaigns.
- Updating members and donors regularly on Community Coalition’s projects and progress via regular email newsletters.
- Developing communications strategies to inform messaging and tactics for all of Community Coalition’s campaigns to reach both South Los Angeles residents and local and statewide influencers.
- Working with Coalition partners to develop and maintain uniform messaging and strategy on joint projects.
- Lead regular staff and member spokespersons’ messaging training to ensure consistent brand and campaign messaging.
- 8 – 10 years of experience in a communications role.
- Familiarity with communities of color, preferably in Southern California.
- Experience both putting together a big-picture strategy and the ability to execute details successfully.
- Strong media savvy with skills to come up with creative pitches.
- Strong relationships with local, state and national press.
- Strong writing skills, including ability to draft content for a variety of audiences in a timely manner and in clear and accessible language.
- Experience managing staff or volunteers in a professional setting.
- Comfort interacting with print, radio and broadcast media, both on and off the record.
- Deep commitment to social justice and community safety causes in South Los Angeles.
- Ability to write and speak Spanish a plus.
Employer sponsored medical and dental coverage and 401k
Level of Language Proficiency
Ability to write and speak Spanish is a plus.
Minimum Education Required