No child should grow up hungry in America. Since 1984, Share Our Strength has led the fight against hunger and poverty by inspiring and organizing individuals and businesses to share their strengths. Share our Strength, a national nonprofit, is ending childhood hunger in America by ensuring all children get the healthy food they need by connecting kids in need with nutritious food where they live, learn and play.
A key consideration of the No Kid Hungry Programs is to implement changes that will have a lasting impact to address child hunger issues in Louisiana. The Northern and Central Louisiana Program Manager for the No Kid Hungry Louisiana campaign will engage in the activities outlined below in coordination with the No Kid Hungry Louisiana campaign and key stakeholders to increase participation in the school breakfast, afterschool meals and summer meals programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in ongoing work of the statewide Louisiana No Kid Hungry Campaign, which works to identify the best strategies for addressing child hunger in rural and urban areas of the state. Primary target areas for outreach will initially be in Caddo and Ouachita Parishes with potential outreach to other north Louisiana parishes.
- Conduct outreach to school nutrition directors, principals, superintendents, teachers, Boards of Education, parents, community stakeholders and elected and public officials in school districts with underutilized School Breakfast Programs in order to implement Breakfast After the Bell to increase breakfast participation. Assist in developing and distributing outreach materials including toolkits, student surveys, electronic newsletters and other materials to all relevant stakeholders
- Provide technical assistance to schools to address issues related to the implementation of school breakfast, including customizing the delivery model, developing implementation plans, developing and implementing plans for engaging school stakeholders, and assistance with applying for grant funding.
- Develop and initiate plan to engage key influencers to help accelerate school breakfast expansion, including identifying and recognizing “breakfast champions” (principals, teachers, custodial staff, students, parents, and school board members) to serve as peer leaders or spokespeople.
- Identify and recruit a minimum of schools in Caddo Parish and schools in Ouachita Parish to implement alternative school breakfast models (including breakfast in the classroom, grab and go breakfast, 2nd chance breakfast models). Provide grant management and oversite for school Share Our Strength School Breakfast Expansion Grant, assist with developing the best service models for each school and monitoring to ensure they are meeting grant requirements.
Out of School Time Programs
- Identify and recruit afterschool programs and summer meals sites in target parishes to provide technical assistance, identify local sponsors for community-based programs. Afterschool programs can be school based or community based.
- Develop collaborative relationships with state and local partners, community leaders, elected officials, and key decision makers in public, nonprofit and private sector, including participating in relevant coalition and community meetings, to advance No Kid Hungry Louisiana programmatic goals and engage them in campaign efforts.
Reporting and Tracking
- Make regular site visits to program grantees, identifying challenges and working with No Kid Hungry Louisiana and No Kid Hungry Headquarters to ensure grantees have technical assistance to adjust course. Assist in evaluation of project grant applications and monitoring grant use to ensure effective implementations.
- Knowledge of implementation and administration of school nutrition programs or school administration preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with, build collaboration and partnership with school administrators, school nutrition staff, principals, local leaders and non-profit executives
- Ability to lead, work independently and manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously, paying close attention to detail on many varied tasks; to exercise good judgment in analyzing situations and making decisions;
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 5-7 years minimum experience in school nutrition programs.
- Quick problem-solving skills and flexibility to do what’s needed.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong computer skills, including Excel and PowerPoint, as well as the ability to quickly learn new software programs and online platforms.
- Driver's license and car required. Most work will be performed in Caddo and Ouachita Parishes however some travel to Baton Rouge and Orleans Parish will also be expected
To Apply: Go to www.nokidhungry.org/careers and apply with your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements.
Start Date: May 2018
Contract Length: through June 30, 2019
Minimum Education Required