Govern For America Fellow
Govern For America is searching for the next generation of public sector leaders to address our nation’s biggest challenges. We recruit, train, inspire, and empower recent graduates to dismantle systemic inequities, build more inclusive public systems, and create a more effective government. As a Fellow, you’ll work in government on strategic priorities and innovative projects and bring your skills to bear on the most pressing challenges facing our communities. Govern For America Fellows work at the intersection of policy and practice in a fast-moving environment where new challenges and experiences are the norm. Whether you’re combatting the COVID-19 pandemic,working to end mass incarceration, or expanding access to high-quality pre-K, government is where we see leadership in action. The GFA Fellowship is your opportunity to tackle one of the biggest challenges of our time.
You Belong at GFA if you see yourself…
- Leading - You care about making an impact and being in the action. You want to embark on a career path that provides ample opportunity for meaningful work and personal growth.
- Creatively problem solving - You have solved problems in creative ways when presented with unique challenges and don't rely on cookie-cutter solutions. You are willing to take initiative, meet challenges, and adapt to new situations
- Leading with equity - You believe that people should be at the center of policymaking. You’re committed to dismantling oppressive systems and ensuring that impacted and marginalized communities have a seat at the table.
- Telling stories to mobilize action - You are a strong communicator with exceptional interpersonal skills and a high EQ. You can leverage your personal story and experiences to build coalitions and inspire others.
- Using data to make choices - You make informed choices using data and evidence to improve outcomes.
- Thinking strategically - You are a strategic-thinker with high-quality analytical and problem-solving skills. You can articulate a clear vision, navigate conflict, and bring partners to the table.
- Working with diverse teams- You work well in collaborative environments and are trusted by your team members.
What You’ll Do:
We have a number of different role types that you can apply for - Analyst, Project Manager, and Data Analyst. You will have the chance to tell us which of these is best suited for your skills and interests in the application. No matter the type of Fellow you are, you will:
- Be in the Room - Work closely with senior leaders in government on strategic initiatives and mission-critical priorities, and represent the agency in external environments.
- Put Theory into Action - Conduct policy research to find opportunities for impact, then make it happen as you evaluate proposed legislation, operationalize concepts and quarterback strategic initiatives.
- Perform Rigorous Analysis & Evaluation - Analyze State agency fiscal operations, monitor revenue and expenditures, evaluate proposed legislation, and negotiate with legislative staff to develop budgetary and policy recommendations.
- Leverage Data - Analyze data to source new opportunities to allocate resources, save money, and improve lives.
- Create Partnerships - Manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders including the Governor’s Office, state agencies, municipal/federal authorities, advocacy groups, constituents, and other partners.
- Question & Create - Ask the tough questions and challenge assumptions about the way things have always been done to create programs designed around people.
What You’ll Get:
- A competitive salary and benefits package
- An intensive summer training experience to orient you to public-sector entrepreneurship, design thinking, and government innovation
- Opportunities to collaborate in a cohort of other emerging leaders on a wide scope of agency strategic priorities
- Extensive investment in your development as a leader, through professional development, coaching, and mentorship
- Entree into a network of leaders and innovators in government who share tools for impact and connect you to future opportunities
- Opportunities for career advancement and support transitioning to more senior public sector roles, graduate school, private sector organizations, or running for public office
- Skills and experiences that will shape your worldview and serve you throughout your career, whatever you do next
Where You’ll Go:
Through your variety of experiences as a GFA Fellow, you’ll develop the analytical, communication, and leadership skills that will help you achieve your full potential, no matter what career path you eventually choose. You will be continually challenged by your constituents, your team members, and your peers. Along the way, you’ll have access to mentoring, coaching, and training opportunities to accelerate your development of new skills and capabilities. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.