Details: Salary provided - will discuss further during interview process
This is a very unique, once in a lifetime opportunity to join an experienced grassroots organization working in rural Guatemala. Are you interested in permaculture, living at a farm school, improving the lives of others, sustainable development, and homesteading? We are seeking two individuals to join the team and work to improve our programs and build capacity for our local indigenous staff. This unique opportunity is well-suited for a couple or family seeking to live and work in a rural Ixil Mayan village located on a 10 acre permaculture farm surrounded by cloud forests. The farm has 3 springs, a river, greenhouse, stable, as well as a lodge for living, hosting visitors, holding workshops, and an office.
About the Organization:
The Ripple Effect (T.R.E.) is a 501c3 secular grassroots charity, working in the Ixil area of Guatemala, at a remote permaculture farm in Chel, Quiché. T.R.E. has been working holistically with the Ixil Mayan people for 12 years. Our farm is called Ixil Eden, and it consists of 10 acres of pristine land in the cloud forest. Our farm also serves as a training center where we teach local people about farming and animal husbandry practices for increased food security. We work on family gardens (over 500), compost and soil management, building chicken coups, maintaining a nursery to provide healthy seedlings, raising tilapia, natural medicine, and teaching effective permaculture practices. Other projects include installation of vented stoves, village water systems, distribution of water filters and solar lamps, nutrition education, and aid to widows.
Job duties can be equally divided or shared between two individuals, depending on skill sets
- Staff development and capacity building for local staff
- Communications and marketing (social media, blog posts, photography, etc.)
- Bookkeeping & payroll
- Ordering supplies for construction and other projects
- Troubleshooting technical issues
- Other tasks as needed
- Train local team members
- Help conduct training workshops on the farm in Spanish (to be translated into Ixil by local staff when needed)
- Assist in the management of greenhouse, seed bank, animal care, compost, and grafting trees
- Conduct home visits to evaluate home gardens, work with families to have more productive gardens, and identify additional needs in the community
- Support other technical permaculture projects as needed
- Adaptable, proactive, and thrives working independently and with local people.
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work in a culturally sensitive manner
- Experience living in a developing country (preferably Latin America)
- Physical stamina to hike to remote villages
- Understanding of and commitment to local staff capacity building and sustainable development practices with local indigenous community
- Experience with bookkeeping and proficient computer skills (MS Office, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English (fluent) and written and verbal communication skills in Spanish.
- Technical skills in permaculture, organic gardening
- At least one year of relevant work experience
Living Conditions and Benefits: The project is located 8 hours from Guatemala City, the last 2 hours of the drive is dirt roads. There are no grocery stores or restaurants in this town of approximately 750 families. Transportation is available via local bus service. Housing will be provided in the lodge on the farm. The lodge includes running water, solar electric, private bedroom and bathroom. Internet service is spotty, but cell phone reception is good and fairly inexpensive. Living expenses in Chel will be very minimal as the farm provides 90% of the food. This position will report to the T.R.E. Director, who lives at the farm fulltime. You will work in collaboration with the local staff and Board of Directors for T.R.E. These are fully funded positions. We are looking for a minimum of 1-year commitment, preferably longer.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please send a resume and cover letter to Dan Russell at email@example.com. This position is open until filled and has a flexible start date.
For more information about T.R.E.: therippleeffectinc.blogspot.com/