Lateral Criminal Defense Attorney
- Job posted by Still She Rises, Tulsa: A Project of The Bronx Defenders
567 East 36th Street North
Still She Rises, Tulsa (SSR) is a new project of The Bronx Defenders that seeks to address the epidemic of criminalization and incarceration of women in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Women are the fastest-growing incarcerated population in the United States, and Oklahoma incarcerates a higher percentage of its women than any other state. For many women, incarceration does not just mean the loss of liberty; it also means the loss of their children and the total destabilization of their family’s lives.
The project, which launched in January 2017 in North Tulsa, Oklahoma, seeks to replicate The Bronx Defenders’ innovative, holistic model of public defense and is the first pro bono law office in the country specifically dedicated to the representation of mothers with young children who are involved in the criminal justice system. Advocates at Still She Rises work to provide indigent women and their families with access to client-centered criminal defense, family defense, civil legal services, and social work support. Looking beyond the immediate case, interdisciplinary teams of attorneys and advocates work with each family to understand the factors driving them into the criminal justice system and to mitigate the collateral consequences that may uniquely affect them. Still She Rises, Tulsa pioneers a new approach that is highly tailored to the representation of women, with the aim of breaking the devastating cycle of poverty and instability that so often correlates with incarceration of a mother.
To learn more, please visit our website at www.stillsherises.org.
Criminal Defense Attorneys zealously advocate for individuals charged with misdemeanor and felony offenses in the Tulsa Criminal Courts. They appear in various proceedings including but not limited to arraignments, hearings and trials in criminal courts. Criminal Defense Attorneys provide comprehensive representation in collaboration with attorneys and advocates in other practice areas to avoid or mitigate any enmeshed consequences that may arise out of our clients’ contact with the criminal court system. To that end, Criminal Defense Attorneys must consistently be prepared to litigate and confidently engage in skillful negotiations with judges, prosecutors, and other actors within the systems our clients navigate. Though primarily appearing in criminal courts, Criminal Defense Attorneys have the opportunity to co-counsel cases in other venues (ie. Juvenile Court, Civil Court, etc.) as necessary or desired.
To be eligible, applicants must have:
● At least 3 years of experience in the field of Criminal Law or a related field
● J.D. from an American Bar Association accredited law school
● Membership in good standing to the Oklahoma bar or eligibility for admission to the Oklahoma Bar
Applicants must demonstrate:
● Commitment to defending indigent individuals charged with criminal offenses in the North Tulsa community
● Experience and interest in working in and with racially and socioeconomically oppressed communities
● Ability to think critically and quickly on their feet
● Excellent research, writing and courtroom advocacy skills
● Strong communication and interpersonal skills
● Ability and desire to work collaboratively in interdisciplinary teams
Applicants, if hired, must:
● Sit for the Oklahoma State Bar Examination or submit the appropriate materials necessary for waiver
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please go to Stillsherises.org, click the Careers tab, and upload a cover letter and resume in one document when prompted. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Please contact Asher Levinthal, Director of Recruitment & Hiring, via email at email@example.com with any questions regarding the position.
Still She Rises is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations, and communities to apply.