Back-End Engineer, Platform [PTEC-13]
American Civil Liberties Union
Product & Technology Department, New York, NY
For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, advancing racial justice, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties and civil rights cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than one million members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, record of arrest or conviction.
The Product & Technology Department (P-TEC) of the ACLU National office in New York City is seeking applicants for a full-time Back-End Engineer, Platform. This position will be a central role in the architecture, implementation, and technical management of ACLU core data and systems infrastructure, including public websites, data stores, and integrations between systems used for advocacy, email marketing, and fundraising. It will work closely with the digital and development teams at the ACLU to support online outreach, advocacy, and fundraising. This role will also have a central role in the design and implementation of the next generation of enabling technologies, working closely with the data team on data analytics, integration, and warehouse systems.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design, build, test, deploy, and monitor data systems and infrastructure including integrations, data services, and ETL processes.
- Propose, build, and maintain new tools and processes to facilitate a more effective and satisfying engineering experience with a focus on automation, monitoring, and development operations.
- Collaborate with engineers across the Product & Technology department to enable creative uses of existing data sources within new products.
- Keep abreast of ACLU security and privacy policies, responding to new or changing systems with development of inventive solutions for privacy or security.
- Participate in evaluation, selection, and management of vendors and consultants.
- Assist in the support and training of users of data-centric software applications.
- Collaborate with other engineers and internal stakeholders in the development of technical documentation.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance, immigration status, and record of arrest or conviction.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 3+ years relevant work experience.
- Knowledge of Python, Ruby, Go, or other high-level languages.
- Experience with MySQL, PostgreSQL, or other relational database as well as other data stores like Elasticsearch, Redis, or MongoDB.
- Solid understanding of relational modeling and database design.
- Solid understanding of database performance tuning practices and techniques.
- Familiarity with GNU/Linux, command-line tools, and shell scripting.
- Familiarity with automation and devops tools preferred.
- Familiarity with a cloud environment like AWS, Azure, or GCE preferred.
- Experience with ETL tools like Mule or Talend preferred.
- Experience with R or other statistical programming environment preferred.
- Experience with BI or analytics tools (e.g., Civis, Tableau) preferred.
- Experience with content management systems preferred.
- Experience with CRM and e-commerce applications preferred.
- Experience working with development vendors and interdepartmental teams preferred.
- Experience with spiky traffic patterns and large data volumes preferred.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Enthusiasm for building open source software, including engaging with a wider community of civic technologists, and an “open by default” mindset.
- Passion for civil liberties and civil rights.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter and resume to hrjobsINTE@aclu.org - reference [PTEC-13/ACLU-W] in the subject line. Please note that this is not the general ACLU applicant email address.
Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this career opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact:firstname.lastname@example.org. Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”