287 Columbus Avenue
City Year Headquarters is hiring a Background Screening & Onboarding Specialist to manage the criminal background check process for all 28 City Year locations. This position will focus on ensuring that all background checks comply with the federal requirements established by the Corporation for National & Community Service with an emphasis on initiating background checks prior to an applicant’s first day of service / employment. This position is a great opportunity for a detail-oriented, early stage professional to support a critical function in a mission-driven organization.
The Background Screening & Onboarding Specialist is responsible for monitoring, running, and overseeing the completion of criminal background checks each year for over 3,000 new staff and AmeriCorps members. This role is integral in safeguarding the schools and communities where we serve and maintaining compliance with the Corporation for National & Community Service, AmeriCorps, and various State Service Commissions.
Onboarding and Screening New Hires:
- Coordinate with site-based staff across the country to schedule & monitor on-site fingerprinting for large groups of AmeriCorps members
- Communicate background check instructions to confirmed applicants and new staff
- Answer and assist with incoming applicant calls and emails to provide regular updates concerning deadlines, results & recommendations
- Track progress of background checks in applicant’s WorkDay profile
- Flag new staff hires who have incomplete Onboarding tasks and follow-up with individual hiring managers
Performing Background Checks:
- Communicate with local law enforcement agencies for pending orders
- Process online criminal history searches
- Mail state background checks to criminal record repositories
- Establish and maintain relations with 30+ background screening vendors
- Prepare and process check requests, vendor invoices & credit card payments
- Collect & track status and dates of supporting documentation and criminal records results
- Coordinate collection of initiation documentation from sites
- Maintain an organized online database of background check results and supporting documentation
Research & Improve Screening Procedures
- Ensure that City Year is utilizing the most efficient screening processes and maintains compliance with applicable federal & state laws
- Research and develop new procedures for new City Year locations
- Provide supporting documentation for external audits, upon request
- Facilitate training of site-based staff (in small and large groups, 2-30 people)
- Ability to communicate at all levels of the organization
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to work independently as well as a member of a team
- Strong attention to detail, deductive reasoning and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to take personal initiative and work under pressure while delivering results within deadlines through effective planning and prioritization
- Strong time management skills, the ability to multi-task and work at a fast pace
- Excellent computer skills – Microsoft Excel, Microsoft SharePoint and Workday
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
Compensation and Benefits
Full time employees are entitled to compensation commensurate with experience. Benefits for full time employees include health insurance with Flexible Spending Account, paid vacation, holidays, parental leave, 401K, and more.
City Year is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including persons with disabilities and veterans.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please complete the online application and attach a resume and thoughtful cover letter in the "Resume/CV" field on the "My Experience" page. Internal applicants should apply through cyresource.