Headquarters: 199 Water Street
The Juvenile Rights Practice has Forensic Social Worker positions opening in several borough trial offices. The Forensic Social Worker is part of an interdisciplinary team with lawyers, paralegals, and support staff, providing representation to children who are before the Family Court on child protective, PINS, delinquency, and termination of parental rights petitions.
* Assess client and their family
* Determine client's wishes
* Interview client, family members, and other planning resources
* Educate client and others regarding the court process, options, timeframes, etc.
* Provide crisis intervention and short-term counseling
* Consult with lawyers in determining client's position
* Mediate family disagreements and negotiate plans
* Conduct agency and home visits
* Research practice issues, service modalities, and resources
* Maintain ongoing contact with other agencies involved in cases
* Review and evaluate service plans and agency records
* Refer to appropriate agencies for ongoing services
* Provide court testimony
* Participate in agency planning conferences
* Evaluate appropriateness of other agencies' interventions
* Develop alternate dispositional plans and court recommendations
* Prepare affidavits and other documents
* Other duties as assigned
* MSW degree required
* NYS social work license must be obtained within 2 years
* Experience working with children and families
* Ability to work in a team setting
* Forensic experience a plus
* Excellent interpersonal and advocacy skills
* Proficiency in languages other than English desired, but not required
Only PDF documents will be accepted. If your document is not a PDF, your application will not be processed. Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be processed.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer -- women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ communities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For technical difficulties or questions regarding this posting, please email email@example.com.
Minimum Education Required