27 Union Square West
Avaaz is winning major victories to bring about a better world and this role on the Operations team is crucial to powering that success. Avaaz’s Senior Operations Officers play a key role in helping lead the Operations Department, which supports all aspects of Avaaz’s global activities.
You will focus on leading Avaaz’s finance and HR departments, and you will also engage with other legal and administrative functions of Avaaz as needed. This position calls for an Operations generalist with killer attention to detail, enthusiasm for maintaining accurate and healthy financial systems, and an ability to engage with both the minute and broad aspects of nonprofit management.
You will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer and work with the whole Operations Team, which also includes Senior Operations Officers, Operations Officers, Operations Associates, Executive and Personal Assistants, and an outside team of financial controllers.
- Monitoring budgets, financial reporting, expense tracking, and invoice approval.
- New hire orientation and individual HR outputs – sick days, vacation time, salary advances, and staff contracts.
- Monitoring consultant/short-term contracts and renewals.
- Administrative staff recruitment, tasking, management.
- Maintaining legal, tax, and other regulatory compliance.
- Managing relationships with external vendors and partners.
- Leadership in planning and visioning for the nimble growth of key infrastructural systems of the organization.
- Providing logistical support to the organisation as needed.
This is a demanding role that requires remarkable talent in a wide range of areas. The main skills you will display are:
- Strong finance and/ or accounting experience (Quickbooks preferred).
- Good strategic, creative, and innovative thinking.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Passion and commitment to global justice, citizen empowerment, and social change.
- High professionalism, self-motivation, efficiency and results-oriented delivery on short timelines.
- Strong teamwork skills, comfortable in a highly collaborative team culture and a hierarchical team structure.
- Strong project and staff management skills.
- Experience with business operations, preferably in the non-profit sector.
- Ability to adjust quickly to changing conditions and requirements.
- Strong strategic, creative, and innovative thinking.
Avaaz is a virtual organisation, with most of our work done over email, telephone, and Skype. Our staff are based in cities all over the world and meet at team retreats twice per year. For this position we would prefer candidates based in the EU or Americas, but welcome other applicants in the region / time-zone. Avaaz covers office costs, either to establish a home office or to rent one, and we support staff to house themselves in local similar organisations when preferred.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary varies with location and experience, but is highly competitive with leading nongovernmental organisations. Benefits also range with location, but include 5 weeks paid vacation per year.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in English is a requirement. Additional languages are an asset.
Minimum Education Required