St. Louis Teacher Residency (STLTR) recruits, trains, and supports high-quality teachers who are committed to the city’s public schools. Through a model of rigorous clinical preparation, St. Louis Teacher Residency prepares aspiring teachers who are capable of accelerating student achievement from the moment they enter the classroom as a teacher of record.
The residency is designed as a two-year program, leading candidates to earn their Missouri teacher certification in elementary education or secondary language arts, math, or science. In the second year, candidates become a lead teacher-of-record while continuing to pursue their Master’s degree with our partner, Washington University in St. Louis.
Through our innovative residency model, St. Louis Teacher Residency provides candidates with an effective pathway into a career in urban education. During the two-year program, residents will:
- Complete a rigorous full-year classroom apprenticeship, co-teaching with an experienced mentor teacher.
- Participate in concentrated and aligned graduate-level coursework preparing them to effectively serve students in urban schools and classrooms.
- Earn initial teacher certification in the state of Missouri and a Master’s degree from Washington University in St. Louis’s University College.
- Receive ongoing instructional coaching and support during their first two years in the classroom.
Who We Seek
We seek diverse candidates who believe that all students are capable of achieving ambitious goals and outcomes. In order to qualify, candidates must:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Have a minimum 3.0 overall GPA
- Commit to teaching with their partner school or district for three years
During the apprenticeship year, residents receive an $18,000 living stipend along with health benefits. Residents are also guaranteed a permanent teaching position with one of our school partners upon completion of the apprenticeship year.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Early Admission Deadline: January 1, 2018
Final Admission Deadline: March 12, 2018