Detroit and Washtenaw County
About the Position
Volunteers and interns are the lifeblood of 826michigan and we are seeking an organized and enthusiastic Volunteer Coordinator to support our existing programs in all three cities. This role is responsible for growing and supporting the pool of caring adults that provide individualized attention to our students, including facilitating our internship and service learning program. The Volunteer Coordinator plays a pivotal role in our operation by inspiring people to get involved, stay engaged, learn, and make a difference. With support from the Program Manager, the Volunteer Coordinator will plan and execute the day-to-day performance of volunteer-related tasks, with duties including:
- Serve as primary point of contact for questions from prospective and current volunteers
- Conduct targeted outreach to strategically expand volunteer corps, build and diversify 826michigan’s presence in the community and maintain our current corps
- Recruit, train, place, and support volunteers, interns, and service learners so they develop professionally while making a positive contribution to the mission and programs of 826michigan
- Schedule, organize, and deliver new volunteer informational sessions, our Fully Programmed training for new volunteers, and as-needed trainings for specific programs or volunteer professional development
- Initiate and steward partnerships with universities and other groups to increase our pool of interns and service learners. This includes soliciting, accepting, and evaluating service-learning proposals from university instructors with Program Managers or appropriate Director and facilitating placements in 826michigan for local colleges and universities
- Maintain our volunteer accounts in the Salesforce database to process new applicants, track volunteer participation, and utilize data to support recruitment strategies and reporting needs
- Develop methods to support strong overall volunteer retention and encourage exceptional volunteers to further deepen their engagement
- Assist volunteers in assessing opportunities to identify program and student engagements that align with their service availability
- Coordinate participation in outreach events such as school open houses, parent resource fairs, corporate or community celebrations across the three service areas
- Maintain frequent communications with volunteers both one-on-one and via a bi-weekly volunteer email and work with the Communications Manager to showcase volunteer achievements and volunteer of the month write-ups via 826michigan media channels
- Manage creation and implementation of the annual volunteer survey in cooperation with 826 National’s Director of Research and Evaluation
- Plan and execute volunteer events, appreciation activities, and retention efforts
- Pursue, establish and maintain excellent relationships in the community to keep the volunteer pipeline flowing, including corporate partnerships
- As needed, support organization as a whole through participation in donor meetings, appropriate marketing support, and event attendance
Required Education and Experience
- Minimum Associates degree or comparable experience of at least 1 year in volunteer coordination, human resources, or customer service
- Experience screening and placing volunteers, employees, training, retention, or other transferable skills.
- Experience creating or maintaining a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion for all stakeholders with demonstrated ability to successfully working with students and peers from diverse backgrounds to deliver a high quality customer experience
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills to overcome challenges and maximize limited resources
- Experience using Salesforce or similar constituent management system preferred
- Graphic design experience a plus, particularly knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Canva
- Multilingual proficiency (Spanish, Arabic), a plus
Desired Skills and Abilities
- A flexible, creative spirit and a demonstrated passion for the mission, vision, and values of 826michigan
- Knowledge of and passion for the Washtenaw County and Detroit communities, including knowledge of the education environment
- Proven organizational and project management skills, including a strong ability to multi-task, with a focus on being proactive and results-oriented
- Ability to develop project and/or team-wide work plans with goals and interim milestones to manage resources, time, and people efficiently
- Excellent interpersonal skills—a cheerful attitude and a sense of humor is a must. Inspires team to collaborate across departments to accomplish goals
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively. Sets up strong collaboration structures and ensures roles and responsibilities are clear
- Ability to travel between 826michigan’s primary offices in Detroit’s Eastern Market and downtown Ann Arbor as well as program sites, community partner locations and campuses in all three cities
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including experience communicating with a variety of audiences
- Enthusiasm for writing and an ability to share that with volunteers and students
Compensation & Benefits
- This is a part-time position, working 30 hours per week. Our offices are open 10-6 Monday through Friday. This position requires at least two weekday evenings per month and Saturdays, but is otherwise flexible to accommodate program delivery schedules. We will work with the person we hire to create a weekly schedule that works for both parties. Interested applicants should expect to spend approximately 15 hours per week in Washtenaw County and 15 hours per week in Detroit.
- The salary range for this position starts at $30,000 annually. Salary offer will be dependent on experience.
- Employees working more than 24 hours per week are eligible for medical and dental insurance with 826michigan contributing $500 per month to the cost of premiums.
- It is our policy, when an employee is eligible for benefits, to provide the opportunity to purchase benefits for spouses, children, and domestic partners.
- We provide two weeks of vacation time and one week of sick time per fiscal year (July-June) as well as a summer break week in August and limited office hours the last week of December.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please complete our application form, including uploading the following materials, by June 29:
• Detailed cover letter answering the following questions:
o What in particular about 826michigan interests you?
o What special skills do you possess that would help you in this job?
o Tell us one thing about you that we can’t learn from your resume