Details: Competitive salary based on experience
330 Seventh Avenue, 11th Floor
Reports to: Director of Finance and Administration (DOFA)
Location: New York, USA
Salary: Competitive salary based on experience plus full benefits package
Start date: Immediate
Application Deadline: May 4, 2018
Salary range: $80,000 - $90,000
Founded in 1981, the Committee to Protect Journalists is an independent, non-profit organization defending journalists worldwide without regard to their political ideology. Through its work to safeguard journalists, CPJ protects the rights of all people to have access to diverse and independent sources of information.
It’s never been more dangerous to be a journalist. And CPJ’s work has never been more important.The Tech Manager has an opportunity to play a crucial, evolving role at a time of unprecedented growth and change at CPJ. The position oversees the strategic planning, implementation and ongoing management of CPJ’s overall IT infrastructure, including network, servers and software and plays a key hands-on role to develop and deploy creative inward-facing tech solutions in alignment with CPJs strategic goals and mission.
Who are you?
You are a resourceful leader who brings deep tech experience, skilled communication, curiosity and passion for CPJ’s mission to creatively evolve and foster technology solutions that deeply support staff and help advance CPJ’s critically important work in a changing landscape. CPJ is known as an org that ‘punches above its weight.’ You will be a tireless advocate ensuring CPJ staff has the tech and tools needed to pursue our mission. Your mission is to ensure IT infrastructure is secure, nimble, scaled appropriately, deployed impactfully and above all strategic. And your objective is to support, guide and train staff to engage effectively so tech is never a barrier to our work. You are energized by teaching and cultivating tech expertise in others. You listen actively, ask questions and communicate clearly and often. In fact you probably overshare, because what wakes you up in the morning is your belief in the positive transformative power of technology deployed with intention. And you want to bring that power to CPJ.
The Tech Manager:
- Develops and implements impactful technology solutions across the organization that fully support staff in accomplishing our work.
- Communicates clearly and regularly with CPJ staff and supporters to make sure IT initiatives are aligned with CPJ’s long-term strategic goals and focus.
- Reviews, revises and redrafts inward facing IT policies and procedures to make sure they’re streamlined and relevant and don’t add to staff’s already heavy workload.
- Develops and implements appropriate security policies and procedures.
- Provides staff training on compliance that is engaging, clear and replicable with the understanding this is an ongoing process and conversation.
- Provides clear and useful documentation to support staff training.
- Manages and guides staff by listening, having two-way communication and sharing pertinent IT information on a regular basis.
- Develops, executes and oversees strategic plans that support and forward CPJ’s mission because they enhance IT productivity and efficiency.
- Builds, maintains and evolves systems that ensure physical, network and data security to protect CPJs information and system integrity.
- Oversees the planning and implementation of network equipment and applications including additions, removals and major modifications to IT infrastructure.
- Oversees outside IT vendor projects to ensure effectiveness and relevance of their work.
- Drafts and monitors the annual IT budget to ensure resources are allocated appropriately.
- Manages and implements cost effective IT solutions where possible.
- Several years of previous IT experience in a professional environment is required.
- Previous experience in and/or demonstrated knowledge of IT services is required.
- Excellent time-management skills and strong attention to detail is required.
- Ability to track and process multiple issues simultaneously and accurately.
- Strong oral and written communication in English.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to non profit sector is highly desirable.
Full benefits package
Level of Language Proficiency
Must have Strong oral and written communication in English.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a brief cover letter and resume to email@example.com, with "Tech Manager" in the subject line. Due to volume, we cannot reply to individual inquiries on the status of applications. If you are selected as a candidate, CPJ will contact you directly to arrange an interview. No phone calls please.
CPJ is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.