The Philadelphia School Partnership (PSP) works to give every child in America’s fifth largest city the opportunity to attend a great school. We invest philanthropic funds in high-impact schools so they can serve more low-income students—whether they be in the traditional public, public charter or private sectors. Our aim is to catalyze the creation or transformation of enough schools to ensure better options for 50,000 students, or nearly one in four of all Philadelphia schoolchildren. Since 2011 PSP has invested in more than 60 schools, creating new educational opportunity for more than 30,000 students. PSP also works to create the conditions that enable great schools to grow and thrive, including a strong pipeline of qualified teachers and principals, resources and initiatives to empower parents and families, and policies that enable entrepreneurial school leadership. Nonpartisan and data-driven, we work with government officials, business leaders, education leaders and practitioners, and community groups to pursue the promise of a great school for every child.
PSP believes that in a city as large as Philadelphia, there is not one best or right kind of school. Two hundred forty thousand children need a wide variety of schools from which to choose. The city has numerous examples of high-performing schools, and they span all three primary sectors: charter schools, district schools and private/Catholic schools. GreatPhillySchools makes information about schools in all three sectors accessible and usable by parents and families to help them navigate school choice in Philadelphia.
The Manager, GreatPhillySchools (GPS) will lead PSP’s effort to empower every family in Philadelphia with high-quality information and tools so they can actively participate in school selection and find a great school for their student. Launched in 2012, GPS consists of a website, school-directory publications and a variety of outreach initiatives providing information on more than 800 schools and early-childhood learning centers located in the city. The GPS team works on two parallel priorities: building and improving the quality of information provided to families and expanding the team’s reach into underserved communities so more families and community stakeholders can use the site and collateral tools to support their children's education.
The Manager will bring a commitment and relevant experience to helping urban youth and their families find great school opportunities; and will bring the project management and technical skills to sustain and grow the GreatPhillySchools websites, print resources and related events. The Manger will supervise a Coordinator and intern(s), reports to the Managing Director - Community Resources Team and work closely with the PSP’s Data and Operations analyst, the Manager of Apply Philly Charter and the Manager of Parent Advocacy and Community Engagement.
PSP is an equal-opportunity employer with good benefits and an entrepreneurial, results-oriented work culture.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Manage the strategy and implementation of the GreatPhillySchools initiative, including setting goals, benchmarks and priorities to sustain and increase reach and usage of GPS resources and school selection information – especially among low-income families, Black and Latinx families.
· Develop and implement annual plan and ongoing oversight and management of the GPS website and related content.
· Plan for and execute large public events, including the citywide High School Fair.
· Plan for production of print materials and resources such as school directories.
· Develop and implement outreach and marketing activities and strategies to increase GPS exposure and reach among Philadelphia families.
· Manage annual project budget
· Develop and leverage partnerships with key school stakeholders, like guidance counselors, teachers and school leaders, key local officials, community leaders and civic/educational institutions.
· Manage multiple vendors and consultants on various aspects of the initiative, including data management, web development, content and marketing.
· Develop and implement outreach and marketing campaigns to reach 100,000 families annually.
· Ensure data quality and timely updates from schools of all types (district, charter, private).
· Supervise staff of two-three to support oversight and implement of the GPS initiatives and activities above.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Commitment to the mission of GreatPhillySchools and the Philadelphia School Partnership.
· Experience working with students or families or other low-income stakeholders (formally or informally).
· Experience managing (or a desire to manage) a team toward measurable outcome.
· Demonstrated strategic thinker with strong project management skills (organized; attention to detail).
· Demonstrated resourcefulness in an entrepreneurial, school/community, or publishing/online media setting.
· Demonstrated ability to work with a wide variety of “clients” and partners; interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
· Confidence working under pressure of deadlines.
· Familiarity with database management, content management, website development and/or social media.
· Strong oral and written communication skills; be comfortable representing the organization in meetings and larger venues.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and desire to work as part of a team.
· Ability to work independently, solve problems and be flexible.
· Experience developing and leading projects that involve multiple stakeholders.
· Willingness and desire to participate in unexpected projects.
Education and Experience:
Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required such as:
The Philadelphia School Partnership (PSP) works to give every child in America’s fifth largest city the opportunity to attend a great school. We invest philanthropic funds in high-impact schools so they can serve more…