Full Time Temporary
Details: $13 per hour
120 Wall Street
AFS-USA is part of a worldwide network of AFS partner organizations that work together to advance global education and foster meaningful connections across cultures. As the network’s largest partner, AFS-USA works to increase the global competency of U.S. citizens by providing a variety of international and intercultural learning experiences to individuals, families, schools, and communities. We are proud of our Staff of approximately 200 dedicated individuals, working from our national office in New York City as well as home offices across the county, who collaborate with our more than 4,000 AFS-USA Volunteers to deliver high quality programs and global education resources. These include: immersion based study abroad experiences in over 40 countries worldwide; opportunities to host foreign AFS exchange students; and global learning workshops and curricula for educator, schools and businesses.
The Airport Coordinator provides meet and greet services for more than 4,000 exchange participants to and from the Unites States primarily at New York area airports and orientations sites. The Airport Coordinator works closely with Travel Department staff and AFS volunteers. The position requires a communicative, thorough, and responsible individual comfortable in a leadership role instructing small and large groups of young adults. A strong individual who balance the dynamics of working long hours in a team based environment while maintaining efficiency in their individual assignments.
- Meeting participants arriving on international and domestic flights at New York Area airports. Possibly, traveling to Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles or Seattle during peak travel events (Departure Day and Arrivals).
- Instruct and transit participants to/from airport, hotels and to/from orientation sites.
- Checking-in groups for domestic and international flights.
- Assist participants with filing lost or damaged luggage reports with airlines.
- Distribute and collect tickets and materials to/from participants.
- Communicate with AFS staff at the orientation site and/or the office notified of delays/cancellations/problems.
- Effectively implement instructions given by AFS Staff
- Serve as representative to Airline/ Airport personnel on behalf of AFS USA.
- Required to work long hours; includes some early morning, evenings and weekends.
- Serve as an overnight chaperone with participants at hotels when needed.
- Some office work required. Responsibilities include but not limited to;
- Tracking, and checking international and domestic flights for accuracy.
- Calling airlines to reconfirm and track flights.
- Check international tickets for accuracy.
- Data Entry and assembling reports.
- Compiling and mailing of materials and packets.
- Special projects.
- Attention to detail
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including overtime and weekends
- Enthusiasm and flexibility to respond to the needs of AFS staff and volunteers
- Ability to follow detailed instructions
- Excellent computer skills, knowledge of Word and Excel.
- Travel experience.
- Willingness to travel.
- Hours vary depending on travel needs
- Ability to speak a second language is ideal but not required.
POSITION DURATION: Must be available mid-May/early June through late Aug. or early Sept. (4 positions available).
AFS-USA is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. AFS-USA prohibits all forms of unlawful discrimination, harassment and retaliation, including behavior which targets an individual or group based on perceived or actual characteristics, such as but not limited to: race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), national origin, age, disability, military service, veteran status, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, familial status, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, alienage, citizenship status, caregiver status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sex offense or stalking, unemployment status, status as a certified medical marijuana patient or any other legally protected classification.
Commuter Benefits and NY Sick Leave
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Do you want to join the AFS-USA Team?! To apply, please click on the link. Please include your cover letter and resume in the application. No phone calls please.