47-01 111th Street
Background -New York Hall of Science (NYSCII) is New York City's only hands on science and technology center, with a mission to nurture generations of passionate learners, critical thinkers, and active citizens through an approach we call Design Make Play. The defining characteristics of Design, Make, Plan - open - ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement and delight - are the ingredients that inspire passionate STEM learners.
Departmental Role: The Education Services department strategizes, develops and delivers innovative programs that provide students and teachers support in STEM, reaches out to underserved audiences, increases science awareness, excitement and interest in learners of all ages and advances NYSCI's commitment to rigor, creativity, and entrepreneurship.
Function: Design and implement a variety of onsite and offsite programs including teacher professional development, outreaches, after school programming and other educational services to meet grant project deliverables and earned revenue goals.
- Design and implement STEM curriculum that aligns with institutional philosophy for related and earned-income related programs.
- Implement online, onsite and offsite courses for teacher professional development correlating to science standards.
- Deliver onsite and offsite student programs including workshops, after school programming and outreaches on a variety of science topics.
- Assist in the coordination and participation of large scale and small-scale education events including Maker Faire, Science Fairs, and Big Science Days.
- Act as project leader or team member and collaborate with other NYSCI staff to meet all outcomes and deliverables associates with grant projects.
- Attend various conferences/workshops/promotional events to participate or lead sessions/presentations representing NYSCI throughout the year.
- Assist in the maintenance of labs, equipment and storage areas.
- Perform inventory of materials and equipment and storage areas.
- Assist with other Education Services programs as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in science, education, or museum studies required.
Master's degree in related area preferred.
Experience: 3-5 years experience working in an informal learning environment. Demonstrated experience developing and delivering science programs for students, teachers and families.
- Experience developing and implementing innovative hands-on educational activities.
- Familiar with teaching strategies for informal and formal settings that support creative learning for students, teachers and families.
- Demonstrable experience in working with teams of educators with the ability to harness team creativity and translate into effective programming.
- Strong communications skills with the ability to express ideas clearly both in written and oral communications.
- Experience serving diverse audiences and supervising or working with youth.
Evening and Weeks-ends
- Must be able to participate in events outside the workday schedule
- Must be able to work early mornings, evenings and weekends as needed.
The New York Hall of Science supports diversity in the workplace. NYSCI is an equal opportunity/ affirmative action employer (EOE) and supports a drug free workplace.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified candidates should send resume and cover letter with Science Instructor as the subject line. No Calls Please.