Full Time Contract
84 Alford Road
Residence Director – Bard Academy at Simon’s Rock
Bard Academy at Simon’s Rock, a two-year high school program for 9th- and 10th-graders on the path to starting college early, seeks Residence Directors to support our rapid growth into our fourth year. This is a unique opportunity to help build a growing program and to work directly with students in a vibrant intellectual boarding community.
Residence Directors supervise the Academy residence hall, providing students with emotional and academic support, guidance, and direction as they transition into high school and prepare academically and socially for life on a college campus. Each staff member is expected to work both independently and collaboratively as part of the team. Specific tasks include:
· Helping to resolve and mediate conflict between students in your residence hall
· Upholding the standards of conduct as outlined in the Student Handbook
· Utilizing Restorative Practices as a tool for building community and addressing conflict within the Academy
· Planning and chaperoning weekend events and activities and overseeing the Student Activities budget
· Collaborating with student staff; this includes utilizing them in meaningful ways, meeting with them regularly, evaluating their performance, helping them work more effectively, and participating in the selection of new student staff members
· Overseeing evening Study Hall and Library Hours to ensure student attendance
· Keeping other offices/departments, Administrators, and Residence Directors apprised, as appropriate, on particular issues, and seeing them through to resolution
· Communicating and partnering with parents to support students
· Attending weekly staff meetings to discuss common residence issues, incidents, follow-up, community concerns, policies, and information of general interest
· Managing medical and psychological emergencies in conjunction with The Wellness Center (Medical/Counseling Services)
· Promoting and sustaining a respect for the school’s property; maintaining a cooperative working relationship with Housekeeping and Physical Plant staff
· Serving on various Campus Life and campus-wide committees, such as the Council for Equity & Inclusion, Community Council, Staff Assembly, etc as needed
· Maintaining availability and a presence on campus and in the residence hall, including attendance at most meals in the Dining Hall and being on Duty as assigned
Residence Directors for the Academy are also expected to collaborate with Residence Directors for Bard College at Simon’s Rock and to work closely with the college students residing in their residence hall.
We seek community-minded, team-oriented individuals to help develop and foster a joyful, inclusive, and welcoming campus climate that allows young students to flourish. Applicants must be self-motivated, enthusiastic, organized, and demonstrate good judgment. They should be mature, outgoing, and solution-oriented. Successful candidates should expect to be active participants in this community.
This is a full-time (10, 11, or 12-month), live-in position, with significant evening and weekend work. Compensation includes salary, on-campus apartment in the beautiful Berkshires, meal plan while school is in session, and a comprehensive employee benefit package. Master’s degree is preferred; a Bachelor’s degree is required. Candidates with previous Residential Life, Student Affairs, or Counseling experience will be given preference.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check and fingerprinting. Bard Academy at Simon’s Rock is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for at least three references to Mickey Spaulding, Associate Dean of Campus Life, 84 Alford Road, Great Barrington, MA 01230, or email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled. Bard College at Simon’s Rock is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who will contribute to our diversity. AA/EOE
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required