Maryland Hunger Solutions (MDHS), an initiative of the Food Research & Action Center, seeks a highly motivated and skilled individual to join Maryland Hunger Solutions as a contractual Part-time SNAP Outreach Assistant, focusing substantially on outreach, application assistance, and public education on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) or Food Stamps. This position will be remote but may include in-person outreach in Maryland at some point, reporting to the Director of Maryland Hunger Solutions and the Anti-Hunger Program Associate for SNAP. Bilingual Spanish language speakers required.
The Food Research & Action Center (FRAC) works to improve the nutrition, health, and well-being of people struggling against poverty-related hunger in the United States through advocacy, partnerships, and by advancing bold and equitable policy solutions. In partnership with hundreds of national, state, and local nonprofit organizations, public agencies, corporations, and labor organizations, FRAC strives to build a nation in which all people have the nutritious food they need to lead healthy and productive lives.
Formed in 2007, Maryland Hunger Solutions is the leading Maryland nonprofit working to reduce hunger and improve nutrition in the State of Maryland by improving participation and benefits in public nutrition and related programs. MDHS’s focus is on using federal programs (e.g., SNAP (also known as food stamps) breakfast and lunch, summer and afterschool nutrition programs, WIC and other programs) to reduce hunger and its adverse effects; to improve economic security, health and nutrition; and to strengthen community institutions.
MDHS works to educate the public and policymakers about the extent of hunger and its impact on Maryland residents, to forge workable solutions at the state and local level, to track the performance of state and local agencies, to identify and spread sustainable best practices and to engage a network of partners to make the federal nutrition programs accessible to all those who are in need. MDHS is a core member of the Partnership to End Childhood Hunger, a public-private coalition that works to raise awareness about childhood hunger in the state and increase participation in nutrition programs that combat hunger. MDHS leads the Maryland Food Access and Nutrition Network and is a key participant in various other anti-hunger and anti-poverty coalitions. For more information on MDHS, see www.mdhungersolutions.org. For more information on FRAC, see www.frac.org.
The responsibilities of the Anti-Hunger Program Assistant will predominantly involve outreach to increase participation in the SNAP program in Baltimore City.
· Coordinate and participate in SNAP outreach efforts with the Maryland Hunger Solutions staff, partners, and public agencies.
· Provide support to other Maryland Hunger Solutions team members to integrate the team’s work on SNAP outreach across the state.
· Provide assistance with food resources and SNAP Application Assistance as appropriate for residents calling our toll-free hotline.
· Identify and support residents navigating the SNAP program and general questions regarding nutrition social safety net programs.
· Identify and develop outreach opportunities.
· Assist in the preparation of development proposals and reports.
· Develop promotional materials to promote Maryland Hunger Solutions services and updates on Federal Nutrition programs.
Skills and Qualifications
· At least six months of relevant experience and a Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred.
· Good conceptual, strategic thinking, and creative skills.
· Detail-oriented planning and implementation skills.
· Willingness to work varied hours.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate to low-income families and community-based organizations.
· Excellent oral and written communications skills.
· Ability to collect, analyze, and report on program data.
· Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage several tasks simultaneously.
· Excellent interpersonal skills.
· Strong team orientation.
· Own transportation preferred. (Parking/mileage reimbursement provided for required out-of-office travel.)
Paid $15/hour. Up to 20 hours a week for 3 months.
This position is available immediately.
Click here to submit a resume and cover letter providing a summary of accomplishments and experience.
When filled. However, Maryland Hunger Solutions/FRAC seeks to hire qualified individuals as soon as possible.
FRAC strongly encourages individuals with lived expertise who can contribute to the diversity of the organization and with a passion for social justice to apply.
FRAC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. FRAC is firmly committed to a policy against discrimination based on age, gender, race, religious creed, sexual orientation, disability, or ethnic or national origin.
Maryland Hunger Solutions (MDHS), an initiative of the Food Research & Action Center, seeks a highly motivated and skilled individual to join Maryland Hunger Solutions as a contractual Part-time SNAP Outreach Assistant, focusing…
Bilingual Spanish language speakers required.
Bilingual Spanish language speakers required.