Founded in 1979, the National Immigration Law Center (NILC) is the leading advocacy organization in the U.S. exclusively dedicated to defending and advancing the rights and opportunities of low-income immigrants and their loved ones. NILC’s mission is grounded in the belief that everyone living in the U.S. — regardless of race, gender/gender identity, immigration status, or economic status — should have equal access to justice, resources, and educational and economic opportunities that enable them to achieve their full human potential. NILC is committed to advancing its mission — which intersects race, immigration status, and class — through a racial, economic, and gender justice and equity orientation.
Headquartered in Los Angeles with an office in Washington, DC, NILC seeks to achieve just laws and policies that address systemic inequities, create narrative and culture change for an inclusive and equitable society, and build a healthier and more powerful movement. For more information, please visit www.nilc.org. and www.immigrantjusticefund.org/
The Communications Strategist, Media and Messaging is responsible for supporting the execution of media and messaging strategies for NILC and NILC’s Immigrant Justice Fund, the affiliated 501(c)(4). This includes carrying out the work of individual campaigns and coordinating strategies associated with state/federal legislative and advocacy efforts. The Media & Messaging Strategist reports to the Associate Director of Communications for Media and Messaging, and will work closely with other members of the Communications department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Execute and measure media and messaging strategies that advance NILC’s goals around several priority campaigns, policy initiatives, lawsuits, etc.
- Produce press releases, messaging guidance documents, op-eds, blog posts, and other content.
- Cultivate relationships with members of the press and coordinate daily media requests, outreach, and tracking.
- Partner with NILC policy and legal experts to effectively prepare for and staff media appearances and other relevant public-facing events.
- Serve as a strategic messaging advisor to partner organizations or coalition members.
- Establish measures to assess outcomes and impacts of our work and report out on those measures.
- Monitor, analyze and communicate results of activities, initiatives and campaigns.
- Support the development of monthly and quarterly reports.
- Serve as liaison to partner organizations throughout the country to gather stories of immigrants and provide media training/guidance to individuals approved to speak to the media.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Supervision / Management
- The Senior Strategist reports to the Associate Director, Media & Messaging, and at this time will not have any direct reports or supervisory responsibilities.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Communications, Marketing, or related field, or equivalent work experience required; Master’s degree desirable.
- Political and/or advocacy campaign experience is a plus.
- 4-6 years of experience, with proven track record communications, media relations, writing, messaging and brand management for a high-visibility nonprofit or public sector organization.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, complex environment.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, along with strong organizational and project management ability.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while prioritizing high-impact work.
- Experience managing high-pressure situations, and working in ambiguity to define a clear path.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, and conflict resolution skills: ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Experience conducting media trainings for staff, partners, and marginalized communities.
- Experience working across multiple communications platforms including digital, print, TV, etc.
- Demonstrated commitment to NILC’s mission and social justice.
- Strong organizational skills, detail oriented and the ability to balance multiple priorities and to follow projects through to completion.
- Experience working in coalitions and/or ensuring alignment and clear communication across diverse set of partners.
- Required Competencies:
- Candidates should have the experience to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Action Oriented
- Communicates effectively
- Interpersonal savvy
- Being resilient
- We are currently working remotely and travel is restricted due to COVID-19. The work environment is generally quiet, and in an office setting. Under normal conditions, up to 10% of overnight interstate travel may be required, generally to NILC’s Washington, D.C., and Los Angeles offices, or another location within the U.S. for 3-5 nights at a time.
- Physical Demands:
- Remaining in a stationary position, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods.
- Communicating with others to exchange information.
- Repeating motions, like typing or answering a phone, that may include the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
- Assessing the accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of the work assigned.
Salary for the role is commensurate with experience, and will be between $73,100 to $90,000.
NILC is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. NILC does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, citizenship status, ethnic background, religion, political orientation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or any other protected class. We consider all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative.