District of Columbia
National Skills Coalition is seeking a talented, aggressive, and creative Press Secretary to join a growing communications team to drive media coverage of NSC’s key issues in the news.
The National Skills Coalition is a broad-based network of leaders (business, labor, educators, advocates, et.al.) who want America to grow its economy by investing in its people, so that every worker and every industry has the skills to compete and prosper. A greater diversity of Americans will have access to a better life, and a greater diversity of U.S. businesses will see growth, if job-driven, skills-based training is a more central part of our nation’s workforce, education, economic and anti-poverty policies. With an annual budget of $4.5M and a staff of 25, we engage in coalition-building, analysis, technical assistance, communications and advocacy to advance state and federal policies informed by the partnerships and expertise of our members. NSC’s national advocacy network draws from over 35 states, including several national initiatives as well as more than 20 active state coalitions.
The Press Secretary will serve as National Skills Coalition’s key point of contact with the media. This job requires strong pitching abilities and excellent writing skills. The successful candidate will have the ability to translate complicated material into concise, accurate, and compelling language for the general public, including op-eds and LTEs, talking points, blog posts, and the full range of communications collateral. She or he will also have strong pitching skills with a proven track record of success in media relations. Candidates must also demonstrate a team-oriented approach to shared work, problem solving, and strategic planning.
This position is based in Washington, DC.
· Developing and maintaining relationships with key reporters and media contacts.
· Pitching and placing stories in news outlets in print, broadcast, and online outlets.
· Working with a diverse range of partners including businesses, community organizations, labor unions, and state coalitions.
· Booking and managing media appearances for key staff and coalition members.
· Writing and disseminating news releases and advisories.
· Writing, editing and placing op-eds.
· Contributing to the organization’s strategic communications campaign plans.
· Contributing to digital communications, including blogs, website content, and social media.
- Identifying opportunities for thought leadership pieces in social and print media, NSC and coalition leadership.
· Setting up editorial meetings, news events, and interviews.
· Coordinating NSC’s relationships with media and communications consultants.
- Developing and maintaining a database of reporters and media clips.
· Providing communications support for major conferences and events.
· Minimum 5 years of relevant experience.
· Excellent oral and written communications and pitching abilities.
· Knowledge of the news cycle and a successful track record in media relations that includes securing media coverage in local, regional, and national outlets.
· Broad experience writing and editing strategic media materials (releases, advisories, statements, op/eds, editorial board memos, and media lists, etc.).
· A demonstrated understanding of messaging and communications for a mission-driven organization.
· Experience working in a fast-paced environment.
· Excellent organizational, planning, project management, and problem solving skills.
· Ability to multi-task, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
· Ability to work in a team environment.
Compensation: Competitive salary. Excellent benefits package, including employer-paid health and dental, retirement plan, life and disability insurance and generous vacation policy.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com, subject line: NSC – Press Secretary. No phone calls please.
National Skills Coalition is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
National Skills Coalition is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and welcomes diversity in the workplace and strongly encourages all qualified persons to apply regardless of any protected status under federal or local law including Minorities/Women/Disabilities/Veterans.