Delivering Innovation in Supportive Housing (DISH)
Job Announcement: General Manager
Delivering Innovation in Supportive Housing (DISH) is looking for a General Manager. This position report to the Property Supervisor. The General Manager is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
POSITION SUMMARY: The General Manager is the leader of the on‐site property management team. The General Manager is responsible for the overall operation of the property, and the day‐to‐day implementation of policies, procedures and programs that ensure a well‐managed, well‐maintained building. This position ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations; maintains acceptable occupancy levels and develops a supportive environment for all tenants; manages onsite staff and their duties; interacts with and oversees vendors; and collaborates with onsite support services providers, HSH, and other DISH site staff in pursuit of excellence. The General Manager serves on DISH’s Leadership Team and reports to the Director. The General Manager is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages property management staff, providing leadership and problem‐solving support to desk clerks, janitor, assistant manager, and other staff. Hires, trains, and supervises all property management staff assigned to the property.
- Provides professional development guidance to all staff. Conducts annual goal setting and ongoing performance reviews for all employees. Ensures that quality standards and best practices are consistently met.
- Manages the day‐to‐day administration of the property, with a focus on excellent customer service to tenants. Builds caring, productive relationships with tenants with a focus on helping tenants maintain their housing. Responds directly to all concerns raised by tenants in a timely and effective manner.
- Collaborates with services staff, HSH, tenant representatives and other DISH site staff to ensure a productive team approach and develop programs and activities to enhance health and quality of life of tenants.
- Facilitates property management staff meetings and attends Clinical, Operations, and other collaborative meetings. Co‐facilitates monthly site Operations Meeting.
- Collaborates with General Managers and staff of other sites to ensure team building, training, and consistency across all sites.
- Implements existing polices and procedures, including emergency plan.
- Develops and modifies policies as needed in consultation with the Directors.
- Supervises routine, preventive, and corrective maintenance and janitorial work.
- Completes regular follow up inspections and ensures completion and quality of work. Ensures timely completion of work orders and turnover of vacant units.
- Oversees capital improvements and maintenance of property systems.
- Collaborates with Facilities supervisors and maintenance team.
- Walks entire property daily to be sure the common areas, hallways, laundry, etc. are in good condition.
- Collaborates with site staff and other DISH sites to provide building and unit amenities for tenants. Seeks opportunities to connect tenant community to recreational and cultural resources in the Bay Area.
- Coordinates administrative, occupancy, financial, and human resources work with the DISH central office.
- Carries out job responsibilities in a manner that reflects concern for personal health and safety and that of co‐workers and tenants. Is responsible for learning and following all published job safety policies and procedures as well as best practices in the field.
- Serves as lead contact for daytime and after hour building emergencies and staff advice, responding as needed in collaboration with DISH and services staff.
- Works closely with tenants, onsite social services team, DISH site staff, and staff at other sites to ensure strong customer service and effective problem resolution.
- Assists in the training of desk clerks and other new staff
- Responsible for keeping readily available DISH‐provided work phone for calls and emergency assistance and having all business related phone numbers available at all times.
- Ensures fair and consistent application of property rules and regulations, lease and lease addenda; documents and reports all violations.
- Processes, completes and maintains accurate resident files at move‐in and at each recertification within established regulatory guidelines.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements, including postings and reports.
- Follows and enforces all fair housing and local landlord and tenant laws and regulations.
- Prepares and delivers notices to residents as needed, including notice of repairs and other events impacting tenants, lease violation and eviction processes.
- Collaborates on maintaining high level of occupancy for the building. Oversees the quick and effective preparation of units for rental, delegating tasks to and supervising the work of other property staff.
- Oversees site budget and cost containment. Troubleshoots unanticipated expenditures with the Director. Prioritizes site enhancements with a focus on improving the tenant experience of the property.
- Participates in annual organizational budget development and ongoing budget monitoring and revisions as part of the DISH Leadership Team.
- Codes, enters, and approves invoices and deposits in a timely, accurate manner.
- Collects rents and other monies; completes weekly secure deposits of all monies collected to the DISH Central Office.
- Utilizes DISH occupancy database to record, track, and report tenant and rent information. Works with DISH Central on streamlining reporting.
- Reviews all delinquent accounts and resident receivables, and determines necessary course of action to collect outstanding balances.
- Ensures implementation of all Tides and DISH financial policies and procedures.
- Responsible for training, supervision and overall accuracy of Assistant General Manager’s finance work.
- Serves as an essential member of the Leadership Team, and as such is responsible, along with other members of the team for:
- Meeting and striving to exceed DISH Contract Objective goals.
- Developing, managing and implementing annual “road map” work plan.
- Developing and managing DISH annual budget.
- Upholding and promoting Leadership Team meeting standards and team commitments.
- Consistently and effectively implement all Tides and DISH operating and human resource policies and procedures.
- Maintain familiarity with and adhere to the HR Guide for DISH Managers.
- Additional related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2 years of managerial or project administration experience required.
- Supervision, leadership, or community building experience required.
- Extensive experience with customer service provision or client relations required. Experience and willingness to work in a team environment required.
- Previous property management experience a plus.
- Professional training may substitute for experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability and willingness to demonstrate the DISH Mission, Values, and Service Commitments at all times.
- Enthusiasm for working as a team member and ability to take direction from a supervisor.
- Ability to lead and motivate a team of employees. Ability to delegate projects and tasks to staff.
- Ability to appreciate and reconcile conflicting needs of various stakeholders.
- Skills in facilitation and conflict resolution in a team setting. Good listening skills informed by the ability to empathize, show compassion, and use discretion.
- Skill in critical thinking and ability to make decisions and help others make decisions. An aptitude for anticipating problems and finding creative solutions that fit within established policies is also necessary.
- Ability to multi‐task in a fast paced work environment, prioritize among competing pressing issues, and effectively manage a crisis situation.
- Ability to manage expectations and meet deadlines in a timely and effective manner
- Ability to communicate effectively through reading, writing and typing in professional English. Ability to communicate in Spanish is a plus.
- Skill in basic math is required as is the ability to follow instructions and accurately complete standard templates and forms.
- Ability to use computers and printers for word processing, spreadsheets, email, Internet, and occupancy software and to train other staff to use the same.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software suite, including Word and Excel and occupancy software. Familiarity with Salesforce a plus.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds, including people with active mental health issues, active substance use issues, and histories of homelessness and trauma.
- Ability and willingness to foster a professional and welcoming environment in all interactions with colleagues, residents, visitors and vendors, regardless of differing backgrounds, beliefs, choices and identities. Ability to monitor financial statements and budgets, maintain resident account receivable ledgers and understand property management accounting issues. Ability to comprehend and effectively manage complex regulatory requirements.
- Ability to maintain a professional personal appearance and demeanor at all times.
- Ability to travel locally between DISH sites and for tenant related hearings and for very infrequent out of town and overnight travel.
Interacts regularly with residents, guests, service providers and staff, internal colleagues, DISH managers, Leadership team and DISH Cabinet members.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to perform moderately difficult manipulative tasks such as typing, writing, etc. Frequently required to use a computer, phone, copier, and fax machine. Must be able to reach, bend, walk, stand, and sit for extended periods. Depending on building assignment, the ability to climb stairs will be necessary. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Employee must have the ability to attend meetings, sit, listen, and use computer keyboard and mouse up to 7.5 hours per day. Must be physically able to visually monitor the hotel lobby area and building security camera monitors. Must be able to travel locally via public transportation for work related tasks and also by car or airplane for out of town responsibilities
Incumbent will work in office setting within one of our Single Room Occupancy, permanent housing settings with onsite social services for formerly homeless individuals, many of whom have significant mental health, physical health and/or substance use issues. Most of the buildings are about 100 yrs old & have had varying capital & cosmetic improvements. Typical shifts are weekday/daytime. Special projects & on‐call emergency response may require occasional schedule changes. Local travel will most often be conducted in other DISH sites, partner agency sites and government buildings. During infrequent out of town travel the incumbent will work most often at conference and training spaces.
This is a full-time, exempt position, starting as soon as possible. Starting salary is based on experience. Compensation includes a full benefits package, including medical, vision, dental, vacation, paid holidays, sick leave, and a retirement plan.
TIDES EQUAL EMPLOYMENT EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
DISH, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
Position is open until filled. In addition to a resume, applicants must include a cover letter including salary requirements expressing their interest in this position with DISH and why they are qualified for this job. Please submit cover letter and resume via DISHCentralOffice@gmail.com. No phone calls or drops-ins please.