One Bronx River Parkway
The Bronx River Alliance is looking for a qualified individual to serve as full-time Senior Development Manager who will directly manage the Alliance’s grant-writing, grant management, and prospecting and a Campaign for our new facility, River House. Depending on experience, this person may also supervise other Alliance development activities.
About the job
The Senior Development Manager will work in close coordination with the Executive Director, Director of Operations and program staff to raise money from foundation, corporate, and government sources to support the Alliance’s programs and services. S/he may also supervise a Development Associate who manages membership, spring and winter appeals, and special events.
70% of time on grant-writing, grant management, and prospecting
- Manage the grant process, writing grant proposals, reports and letters of inquiry, while tracking the funding cycle. Research and pursue new institutional funding prospects.
- Collaborate with program staff to develop compelling proposals, budgets, and reports.
- Track progress against fundraising goals and ensure timely renewals and reports.
- Manage a contact database to track funders and deadlines.
- Maintain relationships with donors to communicate progress of programs and explore funding opportunities, and participate in direct solicitation meetings.
30% of time on supporting other development activities, including the Campaign for River House
- Become familiar with the Alliance’s programs and current issues related to these programs, by meeting with program managers, reviewing related studies and articles, and attending events and staff meetings.
- Depending on relevant experience, this person may also supervise and support a Development Associate who manages the Bronx River Alliance’s membership program, annual appeal and special events, including a spring team-based fundraising paddle, the Bronx River Flotilla, and our annual gala, An Upstream Soiree.
- Campaign for River House: organize house parties, events, gatherings and meetings to raise $1 million for the Campaign for River House
- Other major donor support, as needed
- 2-3 years grants management or writing experience in nonprofit organizations and/or government agencies or equivalent business experience.
- 2+ years of managing and working in a team
- Excellent writing and communications skills, as well as ability to understand and communicate budgets to funders.
- Ability to communicate and work with diverse constituents, including funders, program staff and board members.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to be self-starting, independent worker, think creatively, work quickly and under pressure, and set and meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with Word and Excel, database software; experience with fundraising software, especially Abila/Sage or Sales Force, a plus.
The Bronx River Alliance also offers to its employees a full benefits package, and a dynamic and creative work environment at an organization with a successful track record of restoring the Bronx River, developing parks and trails along it, and connecting local communities with this unique natural resource.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluent written and spoken English
Minimum Education Required